Dandelion is looking for an Experienced System Designer who will be responsible for the design and engineering of residential geothermal systems to include heating and cooling load calculations (using Manual J approved software), ground loop design, the evaluation of existing electrical and duct systems to assess the ability of those systems to support installation requirements. You will also be responsible for the post-installation quality assurance (QA) process, which confirms/disconfirms that projects have been installed to specification and meet or exceed Dandelion Energy’s Design & Installation guidelines. In this role, you will be joining our fast growing engineering team with deep experience in mechanical systems, geothermal system design, software, and controls.
You will be a part of a small yet dynamic team, so we are looking for someone who is comfortable in a start-up environment who’s ready to roll up their sleeves, jump in the trenches, and do whatever it takes to succeed. You will thrive in a constantly changing environment and looking to grow in your role as we expand.
What You’ll Be Doing
- System design: perform peak load calculations, equipment selection, ground heat exchanger and piping system design.
- Distribution system integration: review the capabilities of existing ductwork and/or hydronic distribution systems, electric service panels, etc and prepare specifications for modifications when necessary
- Design documents: coordinate the creation of necessary drawings, equipment schedules, bill of materials, and product specifications. Prepare submittals for permitting and construction.
- Installation support: coordinate directly with installation crews to answer questions, troubleshoot issues and review changes. Document correspondence as necessary.
- Quality assurance: review construction documents, installation records, commissioning forms and photos to ensure that installations comply with minimum requirements.
- Communication: keep internal and external stakeholders informed of job progress and any issues that arise
Who you are:
- You have 2-3 years experience in performing ACCA Manual J heating and cooling load calculations. Experience with Wrightsoft Right-Suite Universal a plus.
- You demonstrate an ability to understand and apply residential HVAC, electrical and plumbing design principles at a high level
- You have experience or knowledge of residential HVAC installation
- Demonstrated ability to draft permit plan sets and construction drawings using AutoCAD
- You have experience collaborating with multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment to move projects forward
- You communicate technical details clearly and effectively
- If you have experience with geothermal ground heat exchanger design and/or installation, that’s a plus!
- You have a Mechanical Engineering degree, or similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
Why You’ll Like Working Here
We are innovating. We are trying to actively mitigate climate change by making renewable technologies more accessible. It’s a hefty goal and something that no one has done before. You’ll get a chance to pioneer this space with us and make a big impact at an early stage consumer energy company
We have Good people. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people you’ve ever met (seriously, some of the stories will be mind-boggling!). We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
We value transparency and accountability. We are not about the spin and the messaging, and it’s important for us to be transparent. That’s why we hold monthly all-hands and share our progression, wins, and area for improvement.
- Medical, vision and dental health plans
- Company stock options
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Paid Family Leave
- 401k plan and commuter benefits
Home geothermal technology was developed over half a century ago but has failed to reach widespread adoption despite being, on average, 48% more efficient than furnaces using gas, and 75% more efficient than furnaces using oil. While many HVAC companies sell geothermal heat pumps, they may only install a handful of custom systems each year, leaving them with little opportunity to develop or refine the specialized skill set required to enable peak system performance, let alone identify and manage inefficiencies at scale.
That’s where Dandelion Geothermal comes in. Dandelion, formerly incubated at Google’s X Lab, is on a mission to make geothermal heating and cooling affordable for homeowners by creating a totally streamlined process from start to finish. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. We raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.