Home geothermal technology was developed over half a century ago but has failed to reach widespread adoption despite being, on average, 48% more efficient than furnaces using gas, and 75% more efficient than furnaces using oil. While many HVAC companies sell geothermal heat pumps, they may only install a handful of custom systems each year, leaving them with little opportunity to develop or refine the specialized skill set required to enable peak system performance, let alone identify and manage inefficiencies at scale.
That’s where Dandelion Geothermal comes in. Dandelion, formerly incubated at Google’s X Lab, is on a mission to make geothermal heating and cooling affordable for homeowners by creating a totally streamlined process from start to finish. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. We raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.
We are looking for a Permit and Inspection (P&I) Coordinator who will help us scale our operations in the Westchester County/ Hudson Valley. The P&I Coordinator will spend the majority of their time managing a database queue of projects and ensuring project throughput commensurate with company objectives. This is a hybrid office/field-based position where problem solving and great communications skills as well as diligence with documentation, compliance management, teamwork, communication, attitude and aptitude are the key to success in this role. You’ll work closely with our operations teams and with City/County agencies, to proactively identify requirements and potential roadblocks and facilitate resolutions to enable the installation of our Geothermal systems.
- Communication- You have strong verbal and written communication skills and are comfortable talking with people from all background
- Communication with clients
- Updating clients about their project timeline
- Collaboration with clients to obtain signatures, notaries, site plans
- Communication with public/private entities
- Involves collaboration with private inspection agencies, public notaries, building officials, state government representatives
- Internal communication
- Comfortable utilizing or capable of learning to utilize the following forms of communication: Email, text, phone, slack, software platform notes
- Frequent communication with drilling, field and operation managers
- Interdepartmental collaboration to address customer questions, comments or concerns
- Communication with installation crews regarding project-specific requirements
- Utilizing a proprietary software platform to manage P&I of geothermal projects
- Management includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Ensure throughput of P&I commensurate with company objectives
- Management of a queue of assigned project-specific tasks. Tasks generally allow for fluid job progression associated with P&I
- Providing transparency related to P&I progress by documenting communication/updates in the software platform
- Referencing project-specific software platform notes to validate P&I requests match the sold and engineered product
- Municipality and county database management
- Understanding and documenting the laws, rules, regulations and requirements of each existing and new municipality
- Database provides historical reference for each subsequent project within the jurisdiction
- Relations with State, County, or Municipality officials
- May require the following:
- Attendance of municipality planning/review board meetings
- Scheduling in-person meetings with inspection/building officials on the project job site or at official’s place of business
- Code compliance research
- You have 2-3 years of prior experience managing permits and/or inspections
- You are technologically savvy and are able to utilize the Google suite of software in addition to learning Dandelion’s proprietary software applications (cloud based software, data entry, note
- You are a great communicator via phone, text, email and in person
- You are customer service oriented
- You are organized with strong problem solving skills and attention to details
- Because the job requires driving to Installations sites, you must possess a valid driver’s license with a safe and satisfactory driver history.
- You adhere to realistic timelines and are an expert at managing competing priorities
- You’re a builder, a go-getter, a real self-starter–you get stuff done
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance offered
- 401k plan offered
- Stock/Equity options offered
- Paid Sick and Vacation
- Training support including on-the-job and virtual/online based courses
- 40 hour work week, overtime available
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.