Home geothermal technology was developed over half a century ago but has failed to reach widespread adoption despite being, on average, 48% more efficient than furnaces using gas, and 75% more efficient than furnaces using oil. While many HVAC companies sell geothermal heat pumps, they may only install a handful of custom systems each year, leaving them with little opportunity to develop or refine the specialized skill set required to enable peak system performance, let alone identify and manage inefficiencies at scale.
That’s where Dandelion Geothermal comes in. Dandelion, formerly incubated at Google’s X Lab, is on a mission to make geothermal heating and cooling affordable for homeowners by creating a totally streamlined process from start to finish. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. We raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.
We are looking for an Assistant Driller to join our on-site drilling efforts for residential geothermal projects. In this role, you will be working closely with the Master Driller to achieve a profitable production rates of geothermal boreholes while maintaining a high standard of safety. You will assist the Master Driller and be responsible for maintenance of equipment, the safety of on-site workers, and delivering feedback to both the Operations and Engineering team on how to optimize the overall process. You will also be responsible for ensuring the correct application of our design and installation standards.
The role requires a combination of a strong work ethic, problem-solving, and the desire and drive to make the entire workflow more efficient. In this role, you will make a significant impact in redefining how residential ground heat exchangers are installed which will lay the groundwork for Dandelion’s future growth and success. The role has tremendous opportunity for growth as we expand our drilling capabilities.
- Verify the operational and safety status of operations, plant, equipment, and personnel at the start of every shift, including Job Hazard Analysis
- Review project scopes of work and support planning activities. Ensure geothermal ground loops are constructed within design parameters
- Perform geothermal borehole drilling operations in accordance with industry accepted standards including drilling, spoils collection, runoff containment, loop installation, and full-length grouting
- Ensuring drilling operations are completed in an efficient, technically competent, safe, cost-effective and environmentally responsible manner
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks at specified intervals
- Assist the Master Driller with providing detailed daily activity reporting, including inventory tracking, geological formations encountered, Plant and Equipment related paperwork
- Participate in safety meetings and incident investigations
- On occasion, overnight travel may be required. Dandelion will endeavor to minimize or avoid such travel requirements.
- Committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and comply with safety regulations
- Ability to operate heavy equipment
- Valid CDL driver’s license, class A or B
- Extensive working knowledge of production-oriented drilling field operations with 3+ years of drilling in geothermal, oil/gas exploration, blast hole/quarry/shothole drilling, water well drilling, or similar relevant fields
- Specific technical knowledge of air/water hammer principles a must
- Extensive DTH drilling experience is a must
- Sonic Drilling experience a big plus!
- Experience setting and extracting temporary steel casing a big plus
- Committed to accurate record keeping and continuous improvement of the organization
- Able to effectively communicate with customers
- Strong planning, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Strong commitment to achieving zero accidents and citations
- Extensive experience in the Hudson River Valley a plus
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance offered
- 401k plan offered
- Stock/Equity options offered
- Paid Sick and Vacation
- Training support including on-the-job and virtual/online based courses
- 40 hour work week, overtime available
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.