Home geothermal technology was developed over half a century ago but has failed to reach widespread adoption despite being, on average, 48% more efficient than furnaces using gas, and 75% more efficient than furnaces using oil. While many HVAC companies sell geothermal heat pumps, they may only install a handful of custom systems each year, leaving them with little opportunity to develop or refine the specialized skill set required to enable peak system performance, let alone identify and manage inefficiencies at scale.
That’s where Dandelion Geothermal comes in. Dandelion, formerly incubated at Google’s X Lab, is on a mission to make geothermal heating and cooling affordable for homeowners by creating a totally streamlined process from start to finish. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. We raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.
We are looking for a Driller Helper to form part of the Drilling Team in geothermal Drilling R&D operations. The successful candidate will be assisting with mobilization and demobilization of plant and equipment, mixing drilling mud and grout, handling drill pipe and casing, operating auxiliary equipment, and hauling equipment between projects.
This position provides a unique opportunity to work with state-of-the-art drilling technologies, while getting hands-on training directly from a Master Driller. It is a unique opportunity to start a career in the drilling industry, without the risk of erratic market demands associated with the oil & gas industry. With Dandelion, you’ll be a part of a company dedicated to sustainable energy.
WHO YOU ARE
- Enjoy working outdoors
- Eager to build a career in drilling and renewable energy
- Eager to learn and contribute to the wealth of knowledge in the team
- Enjoy chasing production goals as a team
- Enjoy a good workout and don’t mind getting dirty from time to time
- Personable, with the ability to share customers’ excitements and concerns.
- Currently living in or around the Hudson River Valley
- Operate heavy machinery
- Drive support vehicles and haul cargo
- Assist with loading and unloading of equipment and material
- Assist with drilling procedures on the drilling platform
- Mix mud and grout
- Follow all safety and quality regulations and instructions
- Keep equipment and drilling platform clean and orderly
- Perform maintenance tasks at specified intervals
- Perform Inventory (stock take) as required
- On occasion, overnight travel may be required. Dandelion will endeavor to minimize or avoid such travel requirements.
- Committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and comply with safety regulations
- Ability to operate heavy equipment
- Clean driving record
- Valid CDL driver’s license (Class A or B) a MUST
- Telescopic Forklift training a MUST
- Rigging experience, a Plus
- Mechanical skills, a Plus
- Welding skills, a Plus
- Ability to safely lift weights of 80-100 pounds overhead
- Willingness to work weekends, if required
- Must have dependable transport and phone
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.