Dandelion’s mission is to enable the widespread adoption of geothermal. We offer homeowners affordable geothermal heating & cooling systems as an alternative to gas, oil, propane or electric heating. Dandelion began at Google parent company Alphabet’s X lab before launching as an independent company in New York City in May 2017. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. The company has raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.
We are looking for a System Designer who’ll be responsible for the design and engineering of residential geothermal systems to include heating and cooling load calculations (using Manual J approved software), ground loop design, the evaluation of existing electrical and duct systems to assess the ability of those systems to support installation requirements. You will also be responsible for the post-installation quality assurance (QA) process, which confirms/disconfirms that projects have been installed to specification and meet or exceed Dandelion Energy’s Design & Installation guidelines. In this role, you will be joining our fast growing engineering team with deep experience in mechanical systems, geothermal system design, software, and controls.
What You’ll Be Doing
- System design: perform peak load calculations, equipment selection, ground heat exchanger and piping system design.
- Distribution system integration: review the capabilities of existing ductwork and/or hydronic distribution systems, electric service panels, etc and prepare specifications for modifications when necessary
- Design documents: coordinate the creation of necessary drawings, equipment schedules, bill of materials, and product specifications. Prepare submittals for permitting and construction.
- Installation support: coordinate directly with installation crews to answer questions, troubleshoot issues and review changes. Document correspondence as necessary.
- Quality assurance: review construction documents, installation records, commissioning forms and photos to ensure that installations comply with minimum requirements.
- Communication: keep internal and external stakeholders informed of job progress and any issues that arise
Who you are:
- You have a degree in HVAC/ R Technology/ Applied Science or similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- You have experience in performing ACCA Manual J heating and cooling load calculations. Experience with Wrightsoft Right-Suite Universal a plus.
- You demonstrate an ability to understand and apply residential HVAC, electrical and plumbing design principles at a high level
- You have 3+ years of experience or knowledge of residential HVAC installation
- Demonstrated ability to draft permit plan sets and construction drawings using AutoCAD
- You have experience collaborating with multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment to move projects forward
- You communicate technical details clearly and effectively
- If you have experience with geothermal ground heat exchanger design and/or installation, that’s a plus!
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.