About Daily Harvest
Daily Harvest makes nourishing food built on fruits and vegetables accessible. We do this by delivering thoughtfully sourced, chef-crafted food to customers' doorsteps, all ready to enjoy in minutes. We’re on a mission to take care of food, so food can take care of you.
Our team is collaborative, driven, and future-thinking. We're constantly learning, experimenting, and iterating, and celebrate failure just as much as success. We take risks, try new things, and we get things done. We love adaptogens and cruciferous vegetables but never say no to cake. Everything we do, we do in the service of our community.
Daily Harvest is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Engineering team. The Engineering team focuses on architecting, developing, and delivering highly scalable and innovative software that meets the needs of the Daily Harvest business and our customers.
The Staff Software Engineer will lead the technical direction of our software stack, be responsible for our most complex and impactful projects, and act as a mentor for our engineers. This role will be part of a dynamic environment working to transform our digital business, all while collaborating cross-functionally with multiple teams. Staff Software Engineers deliver results that move the needle at the organizational level and impact company-wide goals.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the planning and implementation of new or existing software features and architecture improvements.
- Inspire and mentor the engineering team by providing technical advice, instruction, and training
- Identify risk and present recommendations that drive the software engineering schedule and lead the effort in performing software improvements and upgrades.
- Be accountable for well-written code to enhance functionality and/or performance of software applications and oversee software testing on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors and general debugging.
- Collaborate with engineers to develop and maintain code quality and architecture standards.
- Write full stack code and services architected for scalability and re-use. Have strong opinions on code structure and modularization.
- Operate in a scalable engineering culture that leverages modern principles of decoupled systems and automated CI/CD and monitoring platforms to drive efficiencies
- Drive the definition of software development project plans, including scoping, estimates, and implementation
Who you are:
- Education, training, or experience equivalent to a BS (or higher, e.g., MS, or Ph.D.) in Computer Science or a related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics)
- 8+ years of progressive experience with extensive knowledge in all aspects of application development and project lifecycle
- Identify and solve ambiguous problems, architecture deficiencies, and bottlenecks
- Experienced with modern microservice architectures and server side coding languages such as Python, Java, Ruby, or C#
- Experienced with modern database systems and cloud based persistence technologies
- Experience with at least one cloud service provider such as Google Cloud, AWS, or Azure
- Experienced with modern JS frameworks (e.g. React, Angular)
- Excellent understanding and proven experience of coding methods and best practices
- Experience leading design reviews
- Experience in interviewing and hiring engineers
- Experience with system performance metric gathering software
- Unlimited Daily Harvest in the office to keep you hustling, not hangry + cold brew (...always stocked)
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, 401K + equity participation
- Ancillary benefits: Commuter, Gym membership + Citi Bike discounts
- Access to everything we make (including recipes in development)
- Annual company retreat
- Quarterly team outings, weekly onsite happy hours, + regular DH team gatherings to celebrate our co-workers
- Book club + running club
- Showers for post-morning or mid-workday workouts
- A dynamic, ambitious, and fun work environment + dog friendly!!
At Daily Harvest, our mission is to take care of food, so that food can take care of you. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding principles and apply across all aspects of employment.