We’re an early-stage, well-funded startup team with a proven track record of shipping open-source software with global adoption. We put a premium on respectful, clear, and complete communication, and we expect each other to be creative, curious, effective, and empathetic.
We believe deeply that the right tools and abstractions enable not just technological transformation, but also organizational transformation. Our core audience is data professionals, including data engineers, data scientists, and data analysts. Dagster is used across a range of applications including business analytics, machine learning, geospatial analysis, and data science.
About the role
Dagster Labs has grown primarily through word-of-mouth and recommendations from early adopters. We have also driven awareness through a high-quality content marketing strategy.
The primary vehicle has been the Dagster blog, supplemented by YouTube and social media channels like Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. The Dagster blog posts average 1.4K page views per day with spikes of 5K to 14K views per day.
We are now hiring a dedicated content manager to take our content marketing strategy to a new level. The role’s success will be measured by the impact on overall web traffic and conversion to MQLs and Dagster Cloud signups. Here is an example of the technical content you would be working with at Dagster - please be sure you would be comfortable with this level of technical depth:
This is a full-time, competitively-paid position with benefits. We are a distributed team and we are hiring fully remote candidates in the U.S. Every employee is provided a remote work stipend to cover the cost of home office equipment and anything else that makes your remote work location comfortable, productive, or successful. And if you’d rather not work from home, we’ll cover the cost of a coworking or office space if you’re fully remote.
Responsibilities will include:
- Working with the head of growth, work on developing an overall content strategy, including topics, channels, cadence, tone, focus.
- Maintaining and curating a list of proposed content pieces.
- Interviewing technical stakeholders (Dagster users) and turning the interviews into compelling case studies that position Dagster well.
- Working with subject matter experts from within Dagster Labs and beyond to ensure we maintain a high velocity of new, compelling content that delivers on our goals.
- Work with external SMEs to commission specific pieces, and see these through to production.
- Collaborate with our SEO/SEM expert to implement SEO tactics to ensure new content attracts a broad audience.
- Manage the process of putting the content into production via Markdown and HTML, publishing to the Dagster.io website via a GitHub deployment.
- Promote the content for reach on social media channels owned by Dagster.
- Optimize the content for conversion to Dagster Cloud sign-up or Sales outreach.
- Work proactively to earn placements on Substack, Medium, and other newsletters.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant, proven experience in technical writing in the data engineering or data tool space.
- Experience uploading and promoting new content on social media (YouTube, Threads, Twitter, etc.)
- Basic video editing and production skills
- Demonstrated ability and experience to drive greater reach through online promotion, partnerships, and earned placements.
- Basic understanding of data engineering concepts.
- Basic working knowledge of Python.
- The technical requirements for production are fairly basic but do require an understanding of Markdown, HTML, and GitHub.
- Established social media presence in the data engineering space
- Design capabilities to create novel graphics from scratch in platforms like Figma, Canva, Keynote, etc.
You belong here
We are committed to building an inclusive team and an open-source community where no one feels out of place. We know that teams with diverse backgrounds state their assumptions more explicitly, think more rigorously, and build better software. Plus it's more fun and interesting to work with a wide variety of perspectives.
You should apply to work at Dagster Labs if you want to work in, and help to build and strengthen, a high-performing software development environment where people of all backgrounds are welcome.
Our Marketing Stack
Our current marketing stack is still typical of an early-stage start-up and we look forward to working with the successful candidate to expand this stack. At this stage, we use customer.io and tools like SEMrush, Figma, Typefully and Google Analytics.
The website is coded in next.js and deployed via Vercel and GitHub. We do not currently have a CMS.
The estimated annual cash salary for this role is $80,000 - $120,000
- The launch of Dagster blog post (2019)
- The Dagster Blog and Dagster Events
- The Oct 2023 Launch Week event
- The Dagster Team (roles and short bios)
- The $33M Series B announcement