We’re an early stage, well-funded startup team with a proven track record of shipping open source software with global adoption. We put a premium on respectful, clear, and complete communication, and we expect each other to be creative, curious, effective, and empathetic.
We believe deeply that the right tools and abstractions enable not just technological transformation, but also organizational transformation. We strive to put the user and their hard work at the center of our decision making. In practice, that means we are looking for engineers who want to write clean APIs and helpful error messages, and who always try to understand user needs when designing a new system.
About the role
Dagster is an orchestration platform for the development, production, and observation of data assets. Our goal is to make Dagster Cloud the de facto hosted solution for structuring these systems. Providing technical support for our customers is a big part of our engineering work today. We provided a direct channel for each of our enterprise clients to chat with us where we answer every message that comes in. We also hop on calls & create dedicated solutions if needed. We hold a high bar for our support and are proud of the excellent support reputation we have today.
You will be the first dedicated support engineer to lead our technical support. You will be working mainly with our clients, creating strong relationships with them, and providing technical support for their engineers using Dagster Cloud. You will also be working closely with our engineering team and the head of engineering on scaling our existing engineering support rotation. This is an opportunity to create the strategy for our customer engineering support and elevate it as the need for support grows. You will have the opportunity to give product feedback and influence the roadmap.
This is a full-time, competitively paid position with benefits. We are a distributed team with offices in San Francisco and Minneapolis (soon to open an office in NY too). We have team members all over the U.S. and we are hiring fully remote candidates in the U.S. Every employee is provided a remote work stipend to cover the cost of home office equipment and anything else that makes your remote work location comfortable, productive, or successful. And if you’d rather not work from home, we’ll cover the cost of a coworking or office space if you’re fully remote.
- Hold an expert understanding of our services and products.
- Support our customers by answering questions & solving their issues.
- Fix bugs in the product or create solutions for clients as needed.
- Elevate and scale our technical support process to be more efficient and useful for clients. Improve our debugging tools, support tools & escalation processes.
- Create a process for providing timely feedback effectively to our development teams based on client needs and feedback.
- Create strong relationships with our customers, through empathy and trust.
- Work closely with engineering, product and sales functions to create a long-term strategy for dagster technical support.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years experience as a support engineer for developer tools.
- 3+ years experience working as support for cloud-based solutions.
- 3+ years experience with using or supporting tools in the Modern Data Stack.
- Can debug & resolve the root cause of a broad spectrum of complex technical issues.
- Can identify deficiencies, proactively design fixes and implement solutions.
- You can confidently manage a complex project from design through completion.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in a high-functioning engineering organization working on large-scale distributed systems or B2B SaaS applications.
This role is more than just tracking tickets or sending emails. You will have the chance to join calls with some of the best Fortune 100 data teams, and you’ll also be expected to submit PRs to our code base and ship enhancements alongside our development teams. Share how your background makes you a great fit for this multi-disciplinary role.
- Expertise with Kubernetes, CICD systems like GitHub Actions, and identity management in AWS, Azure, or GCP are a bonus.
- Our customers are data engineers, so experience with tools like Python, SQL, Spark, or BI platforms will help you understand their goals and desired integrations.
You belong here
We are committed to building an inclusive team and an open source community where no one feels out of place. We know that teams with diverse backgrounds state their assumptions more explicitly, think more rigorously, and build better software. Plus it's more fun and interesting to work with a wide variety of perspectives.
You should apply to work at Elementl if you want to work in, and help to build and strengthen, a high-performing software development environment where people of all backgrounds are welcome.
Dagster is built in Python and TypeScript to work on macOS, Posix, and Windows. We use GraphQL, Apollo, and React to develop beautiful frontend tooling. We integrate with a wide range of databases, data warehouses, orchestration engines, compute substrates, and cloud services.
The estimated annual cash salary for this role is $160,000 - $225,000.
- The launch of Dagster blog post
- Launching Dagster Cloud to GA blog post
- Dagster Day 2022 video playlist
- Our latest major release
- Software-Defined Assets blog post, Data Council talk, and animated explainer
- Our latest episode on the Data Engineering Podcast
- Our philosophy on code reviews