We’re an early stage, well-funded startup team with a proven track record of shipping open source software with global adoption. We put a premium on respectful, clear, and complete communication, and we expect each other to be creative, curious, effective, and empathetic.
We believe deeply that the right tools and abstractions enable not just technological transformation, but also organizational transformation. We strive to put the user and their hard work at the center of our decision making. In practice, that means we are looking for engineers who want to write clean APIs and helpful error messages, and who always try to understand user needs when designing a new system.
About the role
Dagster Labs is the company behind Dagster, an orchestration platform for the development, production, and observation of data assets. Our goal is to make Dagster Cloud the de facto hosted solution for structuring these systems. You will manage and grow the team of engineers who are responsible for our core SaaS product (Dagster Cloud) and its infrastructure. You will lead the team to enhance our products with new capabilities while scaling our systems and team as our customers needs and count are growing rapidly.
This is a full-time, competitively paid position with benefits. We are a distributed team with offices in San Francisco and Minneapolis. We have team members all over the U.S. and we are hiring fully remote candidates in the U.S. Every employee is provided a remote work stipend to cover the cost of home office equipment and anything else that makes your remote work location comfortable, productive, or successful. And if you’d rather not work from home, we’ll cover the cost of a coworking or office space if you’re fully remote.
- Work closely with cross-functional partners to deliver a high quality and engaging product
- Overseeing the team’s technical execution
- Responsible for the performance and scalability of our products as we are rapidly growing
- Grow the careers and capabilities of individual contributors
- Provide continuous feedback and coaching to your team
- Hold a high bar while recruiting engineers to the team
- Drive engineering initiatives across the engineering organization
- 5+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of relevant engineering management experience
- Be both highly technical and effective people manager
- Experience building and scaling services built on Amazon Web Services, Kubernetes & Postgres
- You can confidently manage a complex engineering project from design through completion
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience in a high-functioning engineering organization working on large-scale distributed systems or B2B SaaS applications.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Strong familiarity with Python
- Experienced with the Modern Data Stack
- Experience managing security needs for a SaaS cloud based product
You belong here
We are committed to building an inclusive team and an open source community where no one feels out of place. We know that teams with diverse backgrounds state their assumptions more explicitly, think more rigorously, and build better software. Plus it's more fun and interesting to work with a wide variety of perspectives.
You should apply to work at Elementl if you want to work in, and help to build and strengthen, a high-performing software development environment where people of all backgrounds are welcome.
Dagster is built in Python and TypeScript to work on macOS, Posix, and Windows. We use GraphQL, Apollo, and React to develop beautiful frontend tooling. We integrate with a wide range of databases, data warehouses, orchestration engines, compute substrates, and cloud services.
The estimated annual cash salary for this role is $180,000 - $225,000.