D2iQ is looking for a full-time, commercial transactions counsel to join its in-house legal team and help structure the commercial-legal function at the company. The role will be to support our enterprise sales and channel teams as they sell to major customers globally, with principal responsibility of drafting and negotiating outbound commercial contracts with our largest customers. S/he will bring pragmatic solutions, develop operational process strategy, and have a steady hand for managing legal risks to support our dynamic, global transactional team. Although primarily a commercial transactions role, the Commercial Counsel will provide exposure to the full range of legal issues facing a dynamic, well-funded startup.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, including services, licensing, professional services, non-disclosure agreements and vendor agreements globally. Develop forms and playbooks for each.
- Provide strategic legal advice, counsel, and training to the Sales and Business Development teams.
- Cover ad-hoc legal inquiries and provide succinct advice to the business on contract and licensing issues and interpretation.
- Engage directly with internal business, finance, and product/support stakeholders and customer representatives in negotiation.
- Liaise with and oversee outside counsel as necessary.
- Track legal matters and transactions from inception to conclusion.
- Be flexible enough to get up to speed and pitch in on a variety of other legal matters.
- 3-4 years of corporate transactional and licensing experience at a law firm or a corporate legal department; experience in open source and enterprise software sectors highly preferred. Prior in-house experience a plus, but not required.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with finance/accounting, engineering, and operations teams to ensure consistency of agreement terms with the company's business, financial, and risk management objectives.
- Significant previous experience negotiating intellectual property licenses, drafting and reviewing commercial contracts, and advising clients is required. Previous international (EMEA/APAC) experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of intellectual property law, particularly as it relates to licensing, required.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- Strong drafting, negotiating, research, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be highly detail-oriented and possess exceptional writing and organizational skills.
- Must be responsive and flexible to a variety of business needs, able to manage multiple priorities, and adapt quickly to change.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and direction.
- Law degree from top tier law school with strong academic performance; must be admitted to the California or New York Bar.
- Currently located in East Coast of the US.
On your journey to the cloud, you need to make numerous choices—from the technologies you select, to the frameworks you decide on, to the management tools you’ll use. What you need is a trusted guide that’s been down this path before. That’s where D2iQ can help.
D2iQ eases these decisions and operational efforts. Rather than inhibiting your choices, we guide you with opinionated technologies, services, training, and support, so you can work smarter, not harder. No matter where you are in your journey, we’ll make sure you’re well equipped for the road ahead.
Backed by T. Rowe Price, Andreessen Horowitz, Khosla Ventures, Microsoft, HPE, Data Collective, and Fuel Capital, D2iQ is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Hamburg, London, New York, and Beijing.