To develop a dynamic, integrated view of biological systems in health and disease, the Chan Zuckerberg Institute for Advanced Biological Imaging (CZ Imaging Institute) aims to push forward the development and application of new imaging technologies over the next 10 to 15 years. CZ Imaging Institute researchers will collaboratively develop breakthrough biological imaging systems centered around grand challenges that push the boundaries of what we can see and measure to obtain deep insights into the architecture of complex biological systems at the molecular level.
As an extension of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative’s Imaging program, the CZ Imaging Institute (https://czii.org/) will create breakthrough technologies — hardware, software, biological probes, data, and platforms — that will be made available to the scientific community and adopted worldwide through a combination of direct access to the Institute, open sharing of advances, and commercial partnerships.
To accomplish our mission, we need to develop a dynamic, integrated view of biological systems in health and disease. As an extension of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative’s Imaging Program, the CZ Imaging Institute aims to push forward the development and application of new imaging technologies over the next 15 years to obtain deep insights into the architecture of complex biological systems at the molecular level.
The CZ Imaging Institute will create breakthrough technologies — hardware, software, biological probes, data, and platforms — that will be made available to the scientific community and adopted worldwide through a combination of direct access to the institute, open sharing of advances, and commercial partnerships. Researchers will collaboratively develop breakthrough biological imaging systems centered around grand challenges that push the boundaries of what we can see and measure.
The Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute is seeking an experienced Lab Technician to support the Wet Lab Manager and build out our wet lab infrastructure in our new imaging facility in Redwood Shores, CA.
Laboratory Operations is central to the support of research conducted at the CZ Imaging Institute and we’re looking for someone who is inspired to contribute to our mission.
In this role, you will work closely with the Wet Lab Manager to maintain a clean, efficient, and well-stocked laboratory and experience working at different biosafety levels. This is a lab support role, not a scientific research position. Your work with contribute to supporting and meeting the needs of our research scientists
What You'll Do
- Perform general wet lab operational duties including but not limited to: general lab housekeeping, inventory and restocking of lab supplies, defrosting of freezers, maintaining laboratory equipment, installing monitoring sensors on equipment
- Manage lab gasses ensuring continuous supply: submitting order requests, receiving delivery, moving and changing tanks, addressing any anomalies in delivery.
- Assist with receiving shipments.
- Assist with additional lab related items as needed.
What You'll Bring
- High school degree or equivalent
- Post high school 2+ years’ experience in a lab technician or facilities role
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- An open and collaborative mindset
- Customer-focused approach
- Good organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Requires regular in person attendance and physical presence at the job.
- Requires the ability to move, lift, carry, pull or push heavy objects or materials. Lift up to 50 pounds unassisted.
- Requires extensive use of hands (ability to reach over, bend and extend hands)
- Reach above and below shoulder height, constant walking, standing in one place for long periods of time, bending, stooping, lifting, kneeling, etc.
Shift will be 8:00am-5:00pm M-F with 1 hour lunch
Nice to have -
- Biology or life science wet lab experience
- Familiar with the use of hand truck and non-powered pallet jack
- Experience with compressed gasses
The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub Network requires all employees, contractors, and interns, regardless of work location or type of role, to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster vaccine dose, if eligible, by their start date. Those who are unable to get vaccinated or obtain a booster dose because of a disability, or who choose not to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance must have an approved exception prior to their start date.
- $55,000 to $77,000
New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate’s skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range during the hiring process.
What We Provide
- Resources to collaboratively develop breakthrough biological imaging systems that push the boundaries of what we can see and measure
- An environment where nothing is considered impossible, where bold and creative thinking are the norm, and where a collaborative culture allows teams of people from multiple disciplines to accomplish more than any single person can achieve alone
- Access to collaborators and resources at partner organizations in the CZ Biohub Network and beyond
- Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with experience
We offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work employees do everyday. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world's leading scientists.
The CZ Biohub Network is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all employees feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the California Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. The CZ Biohub Network does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. The CZ Biohub Network will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with the CZ Biohub Network.