To develop a dynamic, integrated view of biological systems in health and disease, the Chan Zuckerberg Institute for Advanced Biological Imaging (CZ Imaging Institute) aims to push forward the development and application of new imaging technologies over the next 10 to 15 years. CZ Imaging Institute researchers will collaboratively develop breakthrough biological imaging systems centered around grand challenges that push the boundaries of what we can see and measure to obtain deep insights into the architecture of complex biological systems at the molecular level.
As an extension of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative’s Imaging program, the CZ Imaging Institute (https://czii.org/) will create breakthrough technologies — hardware, software, biological probes, data, and platforms — that will be made available to the scientific community and adopted worldwide through a combination of direct access to the Institute, open sharing of advances, and commercial partnerships.
The Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute is seeking an experienced Software Engineer - Data Integration to work under a technology team leader and collaborate in developing software that supports interfaces for high-end microscopic instruments. Will work closely with researchers, scientists, and engineers developing novel approaches in cryoEM.
What You'll Do
- Write software to support interfaces to high-end instruments
- Develop automated workflows for data acquisition and analysis across multiple modalities (Transmission and Scanning Electron Microscopy, Light Microscopy)
- Integrate software with databases for tracking all data and metadata across modalities
- Develop a user interface to the workflow
- Contribute to research development projects for instruments
- Partner cross-functionally with scientist to apply software solutions to scientific applications
What You'll Bring
- BS in Computer Science or a comparable/relevant degree
- 1-5 years of software engineering experience
- Well developed analytical observation and software optimization skills combined with interest to understand the scientific impact of software performance
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles and design patterns and how to apply them
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- An open and collaborative mindset
- A passion for developing high quality, robust software
- Experience working with the Python language
Nice to have -
- Experience in experimental physics, robotics or computer science
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally with scientist
- An interest in science and learning about biological imaging
- Experience working in an startup environment
- Diverse experience working with both desktop and web applications and understanding how they can interface with each other
- Hands-on experience interfacing with scientific hardware such as microscopes
The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub Network requires all employees, contractors, and interns, regardless of work location or type of role, to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster vaccine dose, if eligible, by their start date. Those who are unable to get vaccinated or obtain a booster dose because of a disability, or who choose not to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance must have an approved exception prior to their start date.
- SW Engineer I = $92,000 to $126,500
- SW Engineer II = $108,000 to $148,500
New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate’s skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range during the hiring process.
What We Provide
- Resources to collaboratively develop breakthrough biological imaging systems that push the boundaries of what we can see and measure
- An environment where nothing is considered impossible, where bold and creative thinking are the norm, and where a collaborative culture allows teams of people from multiple disciplines to accomplish more than any single person can achieve alone
- Access to collaborators and resources at partner organizations in the CZ Biohub Network and beyond
- Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with experience
We offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work employees do everyday. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world's leading scientists.
The CZ Biohub Network is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all employees feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the California Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. The CZ Biohub Network does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. The CZ Biohub Network will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with the CZ Biohub Network.