At Cypress, we’re on a mission to build an essential testing platform that makes automated testing delightful and effective. Cypress provides better, faster, and more reliable testing for anything that runs in a browser. Hundreds of thousands of developers and QA professionals use Cypress.io to write better code faster and release with confidence.
Cypress is currently used in over 90 countries by hundreds of thousands of developers across more than 12,000 organizations. Cypress has over 1,200 customers in more than 50 countries across 45 industries and includes marquee names like Atlassian, Crunchbase, GitHub, PayPal,and Slack.
The company was founded in 2015 and has raised $55M in capital to date, including a $40M Series B financing in November 2020, led by OpenView Partners, with participation from Bessemer Venture Partners, Battery Ventures, Sapphire Ventures and Stripes.co.
The End-to-End (hereinafter referred to as E2E) Test Runner team is the primordial team at Cypress where our reimagination of testing began. The team owns Cypress’ open source Test runner which is installed and used by developers millions of times each day for reliably testing their web applications. Though the Cypress framework is widely adopted and has a thriving community, we are just getting started on our mission to enable development teams with intuitive, high quality and well documented experiences that makes testing a breeze.
As a leader of the E2E Test Runner team, you'll be responsible for managing the team that builds a product that developers don’t just love, but trust to be a reliable part of their mission critical development and delivery workflows. You’ll have direct responsibility for evolving the Cypress framework to be the de facto end-to-end test framework of choice. You’ll engage externally with the community to be their voice and partner internally with cross functional teams to shape our product strategy and execution plans. Most importantly, you’ll be the player-coach leading a growing team of talented software engineers and will be at the heart of the business’ top line growth.
This role reports to the VP of Engineering.
Your responsibilities will span technical strategy, release planning, product delivery, recruitment and team development.
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, developer experience, infrastructure, go to market and other engineering teams to craft the product’s strategic direction.
- Translate strategic plans into agile, iterative releases with a balanced approach of pragmatism and ambition.
- Own the full development lifecycle of the E2E Test Runner with accountability for team plans, deliverables and results.
- Partner with the CTO to be a flag bearer for the technical vision that supports and enables the E2E Test Runner’s growth and maturity.
- Provide strong architectural and technical leadership to the team by staying connected to the details, auditing frequently and knowing when to roll up your sleeves to dive deep.
- Mentor and develop a strong team of engineers to help them achieve a high degree of excellence and impact.
- Challenge engineers with ambitious projects & coach them with nuanced feedback to further their professional development and serve as a catalyst for them to achieve their career goals.
- Lead recruitment efforts for the team hiring top talent from diverse backgrounds.
- Create a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as part of the engineering management team.
- 2+ years experience managing software developers (including hiring, onboarding and professional development for team members).
- 5+ years of engineering experience shipping high-quality production-grade products.
- Ability to recruit, mentor, and retain great engineers in a distributed setting.
- Broad people management skill set to craft development frameworks for engineers, constructively addressing roadblocks and underperformance.
- Demonstrable experience of collaborating effectively with other engineering leaders, product managers, and business stakeholders to manage expectations and deliver impactful outcomes.
- Strong understanding of how to gather and leverage data/feedback to improve the product experience and drive growth.
- Technical expertise to understand complex technical problems facing web application developers.
- Capability to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Hands-on leadership style with willingness to be the “Glue” and contribute in a variety of ways - Architecture, Code reviews, Releases, Community support, Troubleshooting, Documentation etc.
- Strong grasp of testing fundamentals and best practices.
- Innate curiosity, and a desire to learn and teach.
- Past experience as a Scrum master is a plus.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfort with dynamic startup environments where change is constant and there is a need to be largely self-guided on complex problems.
Technologies we use and expect proficiency in
- Babel, Webpack and Typescript
We are an inclusive employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.