Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by >$3 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.4 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside >$10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem includes Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
This role will be responsible for developing and executing all intellectual property strategy at Cygnal as well as leading corporate legal activities and assisting with business development transactions. Most importantly, this role would be a critical business advisor to the leadership team of Cygnal.
This role will be responsible for building, managing and executing a global IP strategy for Cygnal Therapeutics, including: growing a strategic worldwide patent portfolio; identifying and mitigating third party IP issues; and efficient management of outside counsel. This position will also include being pro-active with Cygnal’s scientists and senior management in conducting prior art database searches for patentability; freedom to operate analyses; competitive intelligence; analyzing patent and scientific papers to assist Cygnal scientists on patent prosecution; drafting patent applications and responses to office actions; answering partner diligence requests; and advising and educating scientists and management.
Most importantly, this individual brings to bear ability to shape intellectual property strategy in an emerging field of biology that is being pioneered by Cygnal alongside several collaborators.
Additional responsibilities would include oversight and management in a broad range of corporate and transactional matters, including venture capital transactions; in-licensing and out-licensing with pharmaceutical partners; potential mergers and acquisitions; and private and public offerings of securities. Further, individual may be consulted on certain vendor contracts, employment contracts and general legal matters relating to the company and the
Board of Directors.
Individual would sit as a member of the Cygnal Leadership Team
1. Required: Juris Doctorate and graduate science degree (Ph.D. in biological or chemistry field)
2. Required: At least 10 years of IP advisor experience (prosecution, opinion work, strategic development, transactional work) and at least 4 years of in-house IP experience required
3. Required: Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office required.
4. Required: Substantive transactional experience
5. Required: Extensive knowledge of patent law and procedure, including international and foreign patent prosecution procedure.
6. Preferred: IP litigation experience
1. Flexible, personable team-player, able to think “out-of-the-box”, comfortable in a fast-paced, small company environment.
2. Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted legal issues and see projects through to conclusion.
3. Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with both scientists and management.
4. Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment to individuals who may not have expertise in IP or complex legal transactions.