Cygnal Therapeutics is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company pioneering a novel category of therapeutics, built upon the concept that the peripheral nervous system and relevant neuronal pathways play an integral role in multiple disease processes. Cygnal is developing drugs to manipulate Exoneural Biology for the treatment of cancer, immunological diseases, and regenerative processes.
Cygnal Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture. The company aims to expand significantly in 2019.
Cygnal Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated and innovative protein analyst/protein chemist to join its team of experienced drug hunters to invent, identify and develop large biologic molecules for therapeutic intervention. The successful candidate will have proven critical thinking skills, as evidenced through academic and patent publications, and will report to the VP Biologics Drug Discovery to be part of a cross-functional team that collaboratively develops therapeutic monoclonal antibodies and recombinant proteins. He or she will be responsible for the analysis and characterization of generated recombinant proteins, including antibodies, as well as for structural studies of these therapeutic proteins. The candidate will work closely with our Biology, Lead Identification and In Vivo pharmacology teams, as well as external CROs, in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment. The successful candidate should be a self-motivated individual with demonstrated experience in protein analytics and characterization and have contributed to the development of therapeutic Biologics molecules.
- Responsible for the development and optimization of analytical methods for protein characterization
- Conduct the characterization and protein analysis of multiple recombinant proteins, including monoclonal antibodies
- Carry out or oversee mAb binning and affinity determination
- Support mAb humanization and ADCC optimization efforts
- Perform monoclonal antibody developability assessment
- Steer both internal as well as external (CRO) research efforts
- Inform stakeholders about generated data, progress and timelines in a timely and clear and concise fashion
- PhD in biological engineering, biochemistry, molecular biology, or relevant biological science with 5+ years of experience in the biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical industry, developing therapeutic Biologics
- Thorough understanding of the large molecule drug discovery process
- Knowledge of and experience with all aspects of mAb development
- Experienced in the characterization, analysis and development of therapeutics proteins
- Expertise in protein analytical methods such as BLI/SPR-based techniques, CD and DCS
- Experience with the use of chromatographic methodologies (SEC, SEC-MALS, HIC) and mass spectrometry-based techniques (peptide mapping, iMS, MALDI)
- Experience with humanization of mAbs
- Experience with outsourcing of research activities to contract research organizations (CROs)
- Be a self-motivated, well-organized individual, capable of working independently as well as in a collaborative/ group environment
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Drug discovery experience in the field of oncology, immuno-oncology or neuroscience
- Experience with (co-)crystallization of monoclonal antibodies and recombinant proteins
- Experience with multiple different antibody identification platforms
- Experience with Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) activities
- Demonstrated contributions to therapeutic monoclonal antibody development, both in terms of data generation, as well as document preparation
- Excellent scientific track record of high impact, peer-reviewed publications and patents or other fees with respect thereto.