Hi, I’m Brian, Director of Product at Customer.io,
I’m looking for a Designer to join our product team and help us take our interface to the next level. You should be someone who is strong in the visual side of UI design, yet we’re a small team where you’ll get to work across the full spectrum of experience design. Our team is completely distributed so you can work whenever and wherever you’re most productive.
The design you’ll do here will help raise the bar for the everyday communications we all receive. Customer.io is a powerful tool used by over 1000 businesses to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMSes and push notifications.
Our customers are marketers, growth hackers, and engineers who are always dreaming up fresh ideas for how to be genuine and personal in their messages to customers. Unlike typical marketing platforms, we help businesses send relevant messages based on what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
Sound like the next step in your career? Read on and apply!
P.S. Identify more as UX Designer? UI Designer? Don’t worry about it - let us know if you think this is the place for you.
What will you be doing?
- UI design for product features and partnering with engineering to get them built
Continually amping up our visual style and UI patterns
- Validating your designs directly with customers
- Assessing customer usage patterns and removing roadblocks to successfully completing key tasks
- Using both data and customer anecdotes to refine concepts for new features
- Explore the latest design trends and promote them with our team
You’ll be working with...
- Ivana, our UI/UX designer, to take features from concept to Customer.io! You’ll collaborate a lot on distilling user feedback and fellow Amis’ feature pitches into customer goals, wireframes and visual designs, as well as leveling up our design language across the app. Ivana’s been the only designer at Customer.io for a while now, and is excited to have a co-conspirator!
- Brian, our Director of Product, to figure out what we need to build next for our customers. Together you'll focus on customer problems and outcomes in order to cultivate an iterative design-driven team culture. Brian recently joined Customer.io from Adobe, where he spent years building products to help designers.
- 3 front-end engineers with a passion for design and usability. They’ll be close partners: you’ll laugh together, you’ll cry together, you’ll do the best work of your lives together.
- Partners in data, marketing, sales, and customer support. We’re a tight-knit company where you’ll get a stream of customer insight and have the opportunity to influence the way your designs get rolled out.
What will you bring to the table?
You’re an excellent visual designer who enjoys working across the entire UX spectrum. Your heart breaks a little when you see an interface lacking a clear call-to-action or sense of hierarchy. And yes, the one pixel that brings things into alignment matters.
Your north star is where simplicity, usability, and beauty intersect. You’re practiced in listening to customers, trying solutions iteratively, and measuring the results until you reach the solution that balances all three elements.
You’re hungry to learn, and you love to understand how things work under the hood. You thrive in technical conversations with engineers where you need to balance constraints with design goals.
You’re scrappy and self-directed when it comes to problem-solving and working on multiple projects at once. You’re looking to work with a startup where you’ll be responsible for the impact you make and have a lot of freedom. Working with folks in different timezones will be standard issue for you around here, so being able to stay determined, even when the answers aren’t in front of you, is essential.
You are a proactive communicator. You strive to be articulate and empathetic in your interactions and believe in “working out loud” to share work early and helpfully.
Bonus! Not a requirement, but shout about it if you have experience with...
- Marketing Technology and/or SaaS Companies
- Prototyping Interactions or UI Animation
- Writing HTML, CSS, and JS
Why should you work with Customer.io?
Work at our head office in Portland, OR or anywhere in the world you want, but we prefer candidates who will consistently collaborate on North American time zones. We want to enable you to do your best work, and this is how we aim to do that—
Competitive salary - We’re offering $80,000-$100,000 USD for this position, with flexibility for location and experience.
Equity - You'll own a piece of the company. It's not a get-rich-quick deal, but if you stay around for a while, we're planning to be a long-lasting company and your piece of it may be a nice bonus.
Big Impact - Our team is small, but growing quickly. The work you do will materially impact how successful we are as a company.
Great Tools - Everyone in the company has a budget for a computer, a motorized standing desk, Steelcase Leap office chair, external monitor, and anything else you'd like to get your job done.
Health Benefits - We pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental and vision.
Paid Parental & Medical Leave - including adoption
Retreats - We get our whole company together twice a year. We've had retreats in Iceland, Barcelona, and Romania.
Vacation - Rest and recuperation is important. We offer unlimited paid time off with a 2-week minimum per year.
At Customer.io, we’re committed to building a diverse environment, and encourage minority applicants. So far, we have team members in France, Germany, Canada, and all over the US. Our CEO and CTO grew up in Singapore and Arkansas respectively, but met in New York City. Our company culture is always evolving; people from different backgrounds bring valued perspective and thoughtfulness to the work that we do and the culture we foster.
Customer.io provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Customer.io complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Basically, we follow the law, but also like you for who you are!
Come Join Us!
Apply below, and make sure you tell us why you’re interested in the position! We’ve added a few questions that will also help us understand how you think.