Hi! I'm Rus, Engineering Manager at Customer.io. We're looking for a Mobile Engineer with a background in building mobile apps to help us create tools that improve the lives of your fellow app developers.
As a Mobile Engineer at Customer.io, you will guide our mobile SDK engineering efforts as well as help us shape our roadmap with genuine empathy for mobile developers. You'll create the tools that mobile app companies use to trigger messages (push notifications, in-app messages, sms, emails, etc) without getting bogged down with high-cost coordination between marketing and engineering.
As a Mobile Engineer, you will...
- Be a technical contributor to the team that builds and maintains the mobile SDKs that help mobile app companies integrate with us.
- Work closely with our frontend and backend engineers to connect the mobile SDKs into our product. If you're familiar with Ember or Go, there's flexibility to contribute across multiple parts of our stack.
- Keep up to date with the latest iOS and Android platform capabilities, partnering with product management to help guide a roadmap that factors in the needs of developers.
- Learn, practice, and share with your coworkers through code review, team collaboration, and training to help improve our collective knowledge and best practices together.
- Be a model and mentor for writing well-architected, well-tested, and easy to understand code.
About your team...
- You'll join our engineering team, pairing up with Frontend Emberistas, Backend Gophers, SRE MySQLers, and QA Dismantlers.
- We work in squads: small work teams with everyone needed to accomplish a business outcome.
- You'll be a true co-owner of the solution alongside the rest of your squad.
- You'll be supported by a technical writer to create documentation for developers who are integrating the code you write.
What we're looking for...
- Experience shipping code in a production environment on both iOS and Android apps, but you don't need to be an expert in both.
- Capable of building and owning major production components from the ground up.
- A product focus. You're comfortable jumping between customer viewpoint and technical architecture to help us make tough tradeoffs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, bonus if you've developed those while working with a distributed team.
- Ideally located in UTC -4 to -7 to maximize working hours overlap with your squad.
- (Bonus - not required!) Shout if you've worked in Go or Ember and are excited about working across multiple levels of our tech stack.
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 2,600 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $118k - $167k USD depending on experience and subject to market rate.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- 20 days PTO - we offer 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 12 weeks paid parental leave - for birth, adoption, or foster care
- Health and wellness allowance - Up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend - Up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement - Up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement - Up to $300 USD per month for those times you'd prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development - Up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops - anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io - to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Company retreats twice a year - we typically get together IRL every spring and fall, but most recently had an amazing virtual retreat!
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! - as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you're interested in the position! In your cover letter, be sure to tell us the title of the last book you read. There is no advantage to applying early so put your best foot forward. We will respond to all applicants by July 8 with a status update about your application.
Here's what you can expect from our hiring process (though the order is subject to change):
30 minute video call with our Technical Recruiter
45 minute video call with the Hiring Manager
Take-home assignment - you'll have approximately one week to work on a small engineering skills demonstration designed to require no more than a couple hours.
60 minute video call with the Hiring Manager and a few potential team members to review your submission