Software Engineer, Core
Are you looking for an opportunity to leverage your experience and have outsized business impact in a new role?
Current is a leading US challenger bank with over one million members. As a core software engineer at Current, you will be building and owning backend services that power our banking core. You will gain insight into the mechanics of the US financial system, and gain domain-expertise in financial technology. You will be shipping highly impactful code within your first week.
What you’ll do
- Build core microservices that expose gRPC endpoints that auto-generate client libraries. These services perform critical financial functions, such as ledger modifications, identity verification, and real-time transaction decisioning.
- Work closely with the core team to introduce new service templates for different service patterns.
- Architect mechanisms to parallelize and scale existing services idempotently.
- Measure and tune services with Datadog tracing that link to performance SLOs.
About the stack
Current’s engineering team has applications running on Google Cloud Kubernetes Engine. We are investing heavily in these services to support a banking core that can scale to handle millions of transactions a day.
We use a variety of databases, including MongoDB, Neo4j, and Postgres. Our core services are written in Java, and our edge services are written in TypeScript and Node.js.
- 5+ years of professional backend development experience
- Working knowledge of Java
- B.S. Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent
- Experience with cloud-hosted services, like AWS or GCP
- Proficiency in both RDBMS and nosql databases
- A good grasp of concurrency and multi-threading
- Production Kubernetes experience
- Production GraphQL experience
- Node.js and TypeScript experience
- Experience with creating and maintaining tests within a CI pipeline
- MongoDB, Neo4j, or Postgres expertise
- Google Cloud (GKE, Compute Engine, BigQuery, Cloud Build) expertise
- Experience with data transformation technologies such as Dataflow or Spark
Benefits & Perks:
- Health, dental, vision benefits with 100% premium covered for employees
- Unlimited vacation days and paid holidays
- Discounted gym memberships
- Employee commuter benefits
- Company equity & discretionary performance bonuses
- Healthcare and Dependent care FSA benefit
- A collaborative open floor plan in our Soho-based office with a stocked fridge and kitchen, occasional catered lunches, hot and cold drinks, and happy hours