Who We Are
We’re a cast of characters working to shine a spotlight on anime. Crunchyroll is an international business focused on creating both online and offline experiences for fans through content (licensed, co-produced, originals, distribution), merchandise, events, gaming, news, and more. Visit our About Us pages for more information about our collection of brands.
Crunchyroll COVID-19 Hiring Status
Crunchyroll employees are currently working from home, and we are still conducting remote interviews and hiring during this time. This role is expected to start remotely, and we’ll work closely with you as we understand every person has unique circumstances.
Location: San Francisco
Our headquarters is located in downtown San Francisco, where our group of cross-functional experts assemble to create experiences for our passionate communities.
About The Team
The Subscriptions team is responsible for building and maintaining systems that assist in granting different levels of benefits for users. We are directly tied to one of the main streams of revenue and pride ourselves on quality code, service reliability, and teamwork. Our day to day work includes payment provider integrations (Stripe, iTunes App Store, Google Play, etc), customer support and marketing initiatives (promotional coupons and gift access), and assisting growth opportunities (analytics and reporting). Our services process millions of subscriptions in a highly secure, distributed, and scalable environment that is constantly evolving to meet the needs of both our users and privacy standards.
We are a diverse group of individuals. We represent the whole spectrum of passion for anime and have more interests outside the anime realm. Most of all, we are inclusive and take pride in diversity. Join us and be a part of an integral part of the Crunchyroll team.
- Education that results in strong understanding of computer science principles and design patterns. Education ranging from a Bachelor's of Science degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related science and engineering degree to alternative education, training, bootcamps, or certifications.
- Proven experience (4+ years) in the field as a software engineer
- Deep experience in Java, GoLang, Python, PHP, or Node.js
- Experience with AWS technologies like API Gateway, Lambda, EC2, S3 Plus on RDS, ECS, EKS
- Experience with relational databases like MySQL/PostgresDB/MariaDB
- Willing to be on-call on a rotational basis to ensure incidents are addressed as quickly as possible with the least disruption to our end-users.
- Ability to write & assess clean, functional, high quality and testable code for each of the team's projects.
- Build features based on tech requirements provided. Self sufficient and efficiently taking projects to completion.
- Positive and proactive, solution-focused contributor and team motivator.
A day in the life of our Sr Software Engineer, Subscriptions:
- Working with your team to add, extend or debug subscription features serving millions of users internationally
- Brainstorming with your lead, engineering manager and/or the team’s product owner to turn large, deeply technical tasks into smaller tractable work
- Fleshing out the technical details of how you’d approach implementing engineering tasks, helping to break out tickets into subtasks where you feel is reasonable
- Review your work with your team’s product owner and with QA to verify and validate your contributions
- Review the pull requests of other team members, giving considerations and domain expertise where possible, and paying extra attention to potential software vulnerabilities being inadvertently introduced
- Rarely, responding to an incident affecting one of our subscription services in production, helping others diagnose what went wrong and following up with long-term solutions
Benefits: San Francisco Office:
- Competitive salary
- “Use What You Need” time away from work policy
- Medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, and life insurance
- Health care and dependent care FSA
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Employer paid commuter benefit
- On-site gym, showers, yoga, and wellness classes
- Catered lunch and dinner 4 days per week
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet friendly environment - pet insurance and dog friendly office
Questions about Crunchyroll's hiring process? Please check out our FAQ
Please beware of recent scams to online job seekers. Those applying to our job openings will only be contacted directly from @crunchyroll.com and @ellation.com email accounts. If you have any questions of the authenticity of an Ellation or Crunchyroll job offer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before giving away any information.
Crunchyroll connects anime and manga fans across 200+ countries and territories with the content and experiences they love. In addition to free ad-supported and subscription premium content, Crunchyroll serves the anime community across events, theatrical, games, consumer products, collectibles and manga publishing.
Anime fans have access to one of the largest collections of licensed anime through Crunchyroll and translated in multiple languages for viewers worldwide. Viewers can also access simulcasts — top series available immediately after Japanese broadcast.
The Crunchyroll app is available on over 15 platforms, including all gaming consoles.
Crunchyroll, LLC is an independently operated joint venture between US-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Japan’s Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc., both subsidiaries of Tokyo-based Sony Group Corporation.
Our Company Values
You’ll see these in action if we’re lucky enough to have you:
- Courage - When we overcome fear, we enable our best selves.
- Curiosity - We are curious, which is the gateway to empathy, inclusion, and understanding.
- Service - We serve our community with humility, enabling joy and belonging for others.
- Kaizen - We have a growth mindset committed to constant forward progress.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Crunchyroll. Pursuant to applicable law, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.