Crunchyroll is the world’s most popular anime brand, connects anime and manga fans across 200+ countries and territories with 360-degree experiences. We’re an international business focused on creating both online and offline experiences for fans through content (licensed, co-produced, originals, distribution), merchandise, events, gaming, news, and more. Visit our About Us pages for more information about our collection of brands and companies.
Location: San Francisco
Crunchyroll COVID-19 Hiring Status
Crunchyroll employees are currently working from home, and we are still conducting remote interviews and hiring during this time. This role is encouraged to start remotely, and we’ll work closely with you as we understand every person has outstanding circumstances.
About the team:
Our engineers are pioneering tools and technologies to efficiently build best in class user experience across more than 10 platforms for multiple brands. We work closely with innovative design, user- experience, and user-testing teams to deliver multifaceted experiences. Video is at the core of our streaming service and is supported by dedicated playback and infrastructure teams. Crunchyroll video platform services more than 4 billion minutes a month of DRM enabled multi-protocol streams.
About the role:
As the Senior Engineering Manager for the Video Infrastructure team you will have ownership of critical components of our service. You will directly lead a team of engineers passionate about the mission of building an outstanding video streaming platform for our rapidly growing consumer facing Crunchyroll subscription and advertising-supported video products. The services you would own in leading the Video team include our multifaceted packager, encoding platform, playback orchestration & manifest manipulation services for AVOD and multi-CDN.
You will manage a team of engineers in supporting these critical services including designing and shaping future API direction in collaboration with partners. You will work closely with the Video product owner, code quality assurance, DevOps and other teams. Crunchyroll has an aggressive innovative roadmap around anime encoding, new codec adoption and multi-CDN platform. We need a strong leader to help us deliver on these goals.
A day in the life of our Sr Video Engineering manager:
- Hands-on Engineering Management
- Technical Vision for Video APIs
- Strategic planning with product ensuring key business needs are addressed while keeping tech debit in check.
- Test coverage as part of the definition of done mentality and practice.
- Management of project risks and cross-team dependencies
- Work closely with operations to build new services in coordination with our design patterns and support evaluations of new infrastructure approaches.
- Possible travel to Moldova to coordinate with client and service team partners
- Possible blog posts, open-source publishing of projects and conference presentation opportunities.
- 4+ years of management experience
- BS or higher in Computer Science
- 7+ years working on API’s and/or video IP technologies
- Strong fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, and networking.
- Understanding of VOD media streaming (DASH & HLS)
- Strong understanding of encoding, decoding principals across multiple codecs.
- Understanding of Subjective and Objective Quality Video quality evaluations.
- Strong familiarity with bitrate ladders ABR algorithms and data-driven decision framework for improving end-user QoE.
- Real-time scalable Video processing software in distributed systems architecture.
- Familiarity with code design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Familiarity with Ad technologies and Dynamic Ad Insertion is a plus.
- Familiarity with Go is a strong plus
- Familiarity with AWS technologies is a strong plus
Benefits: San Francisco Office
- Competitive salary
- “Use What You Need” time away from work policy
- Medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, and life insurance
- Health care and dependent care FSA
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Employer paid commuter benefit
- On-site gym, showers, yoga, and wellness classes
- Catered lunch and dinner 4 days per week
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet friendly environment - pet insurance and dog friendly office
Questions about Crunchyroll's hiring process? Please check out our FAQ
Crunchyroll, a WarnerMedia company (as a subsidiary of Otter Media) and the world’s most popular anime brand, connects anime and manga fans across 200+ countries and territories with 360-degree experiences.
Fans have access to the largest collection of licensed anime through Crunchyroll, Anime Digital Network (in partnership with Citel, a subsidiary of Média-Participations), and Anime on Demand video streaming services, translated in multiple languages for viewers worldwide. Viewers can also access simulcasts — top series available immediately after Japanese broadcast. Crunchyroll's services also extend to licensing of theatrical, TV, home video, and consumer product rights.
Fans engage further with events (including owned events Crunchyroll Expo, Anime Awards, Crunchyroll Movie Nights, KAZÉ Movie Nights), consumer products through eCommerce and retail partners (Crunchyroll, KAZÉ, AV Visionen), Crunchyroll Games, KAZÉ Games, and manga (KAZÉ Manga, Crunchyroll Manga app, Crunchyroll Manga Store).
Crunchyroll was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, Lausanne, Berlin (AV Visionen) and Chisinau (Ellation). VRV (U.S.) and Eye See Movies (Germany) are also Crunchyroll brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Crunchyroll. Pursuant to applicable law, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.