Crunchyroll is the world's most popular anime brand. We’re an international business focused on creating both online and offline experiences for anime fans through content (licensed, co-produced, and originals), merchandise, events, gaming, news, and more.
About the team
The Product Design department is a global team with members in both the San Francisco and Moldova offices. We design the Crunchyroll and VRV services on desktop, tablet, mobile phone, and TV devices. Our goal is a consistent and seamless user experience across all these platforms.
As a complement to business, product, and engineering, we collaborate closely with teams across the organization to identify the right problems to solve and ensure that our solutions satisfy the goals of both the business and the end user.
About the Role
As Principal Product Designer, you will help define the direction of the Product Design team. You will work closely with management to drive initiatives around process, communication, collaboration, and tools. You will provide mentorship to other team members through review, feedback, and coaching. You will oversee approvals of design and must therefore be fluent in design conventions and guidelines across multiple platforms and devices. You may also need to do hands-on design for the product as need arises.
Location: San Francisco
Our headquarters is located in downtown San Francisco, where our group of cross-functional experts assemble to create experiences for Crunchyroll and VRV’s passionate communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design / Graphic Design / New Media or equivalent experience
- Strong portfolio showcasing design work that has shipped as well as your design process
- 5 - 8+ years of product design experience for mobile, web, or living room platforms
- 2+ years leading or managing other designers is a plus
- A user-centered approach to designing software and services for people
- Experience working with and contributing to design systems, guidelines, and other best practices
- Understanding and up to date experience with modern web application technologies, including responsive web, native iOS/Android app design, and TV design
- Expert skills in modern design programs like Sketch and Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to set and juggle priorities to focus on the most important issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent storytelling skills to present and communicate your work
- Experience working in an Agile development environment and using Jira and Confluence
- An interest in anime, pop culture, animation, video games, tech and geekdom
- Knowledge of the online video streaming space
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally
A day in the life of our Principal Product Designer:
- Empathize with our user’s needs and work to define, design, and implement innovative and effective solutions
- Work on projects touching web, mobile, tablet, and living room devices
- Collaborate with other product design team members in both San Francisco and Moldova to guide them to the best possible design decisions
- Work with our UX Research Team and Interaction Designers to create prototypes, test new and existing product features, and iterate on them
- Work with Interaction Designers to communicate micro-interactions within your designs to your product team (engineers, product owners, etc). Sometimes you may be required to produce your own animations as examples
- Work closely with design leadership to ensure a cohesive user experience across our entire product ecosystem and across various platforms
- Provide design mentorship, critique, and approval in-person and through online tools to other designers to improve their skills and product design thinking
- Act as an advocate for design to the rest of the company
- Help establish product and brand guidelines, and ensure all design work adheres to these guidelines
- Complement and improve upon our existing product design workflow to optimize delivery to engineering
- May own the product design of multiple features from end to end
- May lead large scale features that require complex interactions and the creation of new design system elements
Please include with your application:
- A full resume
- A portfolio with examples of product design work
Benefits: San Francisco Office
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, and life insurance
- Health care and dependent care FSA
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Employer paid commuter benefit
- On-site gym, showers, yoga, and wellness classes
- Catered lunch 4 days per week
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet friendly environment - pet insurance and dog friendly office
What’s with the name, Ellation? We’re all a cast of characters that get passion and strive to celebrate fandom in all its forms. So we’re building a collection of destinations (a constellation, if you will) that connect people with their passions. Each day, we work to achieve complete fan elation (our vision), starting with popular subscription-video-on-demand brands, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, and VRV. Our team spans across San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin, Chișinău, and Tokyo to develop the product, design, engineering, marketing, and content that brings our communities of fans together.
Crunchyroll is the world's most popular anime brand. We’re an international business focused on creating both online and offline experiences for anime fans, through content (licensed, co-produced, and originals), merchandise, events, gaming, news, and more.
Rooster Teeth is the entertainment company for gamers. A pioneer in digital entertainment, we’ve spent 16 years fostering a passionate worldwide community around original western-style anime, animation, podcasts, gaming personalities, and comedy content. Rooster Teeth’s diversified business encompasses subscription video, live events, merchandise, brand integrations, licensed studio productions, game development, and more.
VRV is a collection of fandom brands on a unified platform and includes Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Viacom’s NickSplat, and more. Our community connects through immersive content experiences in a digitally-driven environment via bundled subscription, a la carte subscription, or ad-supported options.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Ellation. Pursuant to applicable law, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.