We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the role:
The AV software stack heavily relies on machine learning techniques to perform a variety of tasks, each with different requirements of hardware/compute resources. Throughout the life-cycle of each machine learning model, skilled ML engineers (on both training and inference sides) work closely to prepare it for a robust, scalable, and compute/power efficient inferencing on a resource-constrained hardware accelerator. Such a close working relationship is key to a fast and successful deployment of intelligent systems on the car.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with engineers from different AV Engineering teams (e.g. Computer Vision, Perception, platform) to scope out system/software requirements while working with AV hardware to understand optimization opportunities that are specific to the target hardware platform and its constraints. If you are interested in solving some of the most exciting machine learning optimization problems in the industry, then chat with us!
What you’ll be doing:
- Drive adoption of new technology by collaborating with other teams within Cruise AI (e.g., perception and ML infrastructure).
- Build and deploy production software at the highest levels of quality and performance
- Collaborate with cross functional agile teams of AV engineers
What you must have:
- Pursuing PhD in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent
- Strong programming skills in Python or C++ with an emphasis on data structures and algorithms.
- Expertise with software development lifecycle - coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in one of the following areas:
- Experience with compiler techniques (deep learning compilers, GPU codgen, auto-parallelization)
- Deep learning model optimization techniques like quantization, neural architecture search (NAS), pruning, hyperparameter tuning
- Experience with ML or DL frameworks (TensorFlow, ONNX, PyTorch)
- Experience with real-time operating systems or software design
- Experience with designing software applications for safety critical systems
- Experience with FPGA prototyping and emulation environments
- Experience with performance tools (e.g. perf, vtune, nsight, eBPF)
- Experience with performance modeling, simulation and analysis (TLM, cycle-accurate models, etc)
- Experience with lower-levels of an accelerator software stack (i.e. drivers, runtimes, and user-level API) and the inter-layer interactions
- Strong background in computer architecture
- Solid understanding of how to design performance-critical software
- Solid background in working with compute accelerators (e.g. GPUs), programming languages (e.g. CUDA, OpenCL), and general purpose parallel programming
- Intern program elements:
- Ownership of impactful project work
- Mentorship and training
- Networking events
- Intern perks:
- Competitive compensation
- Company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.