We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role
The Cruise UX Research Intern program is in its first run and you could be our first graduate!
In our twelve-week program, our goal is to help you: 1) adjust to a career-focused job, 2) exercise your research skills working on actual user experience issues Cruise wants to solve, and 3) growing any particular skills you hope to gain while working in industry.
You will work closely with at least one senior UX researcher and a slew of cross-team collaborators to make this all happen.
About the Cruise Design organization
Design is a passionate group of leaders across design, research, brand, and 3D environments. We craft the experience people have with Cruise – from our self-driving vehicles, to our software, to the way people experience our brand. We’re solving the challenge of introducing self-driving technology to people’s lives with a commitment to making a positive impact in the world.
About the team
The UX Research team focuses on experiences that serve Cruise’s target customer as well as internal teams at Cruise. We work closely with designers and other cross-functional teams to provide insights that will lay the foundation for an AV ride-sharing experience. As a part of this team, you will have a critical role in shaping the Cruise experience and the impact it will have on the transportation and automotive industries that have shaped our way of living.
Day-to-day responsibilities include
- Work closely with internal stakeholders to understand their needs
- Collaborate closely with other researchers, designers, product managers, and engineers to identify and prioritize opportunities where research can help improve a workflow or product decision
- Lead all aspects of a research project including: Meet with stakeholders, scope projects, choose methodologies, create research plans, write discussion guides, lead interview sessions, synthesize findings into meaningful themes, and write actionable and impactful reports
- Communicate research findings to inform business decisions through rich storytelling via presentations, reports, workshops and any other novel, creative approach
- Learn what it’s like to work full-time as a UX Researcher at a company working on the greatest engineering challenge of our generation!
You may be a good fit if you have the following qualifications
- B.A./B.S. in Human Factors, HCI, Psychology, Computer Science, or Social Sciences, Anthropology, or equivalent
- Currently enrolled in a M.A./M.S. or PhD program that requires you to conduct research
- Strong interest in any or all of the following: product design, user experience research, psychology, autonomous vehicles, transportation design, the “gig economy”
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision and take initiative to solve problems
- Working towards M.A./M.S. or PhD in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Sociology or other field emphasizing human behavior intersecting technology (double bonus points for autonomous vehicle research)
- Working towards completing (or you have already completed) a User Experience Design/Research “bootcamp”
- Working proficiency in one or more traditional user experience research methods (e.g. survey design, usability testing, conducting contextual inquiry)
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
- Solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.