We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
As an intern on the Hardware R&D team you will be incorporated within the team to solve problems apart of full cycle PCB design and be apart of hardware reviews just like another engineer on the team. This co-op opportunity will be from January-June 2020.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Full cycle PCB design, including: component selection, schematic capture, simulation, layout, verification (bring-up, debug, testing, troubleshooting), and design/PCBA documentation
- Develop simple mixed-signal electrical designs, involving power, digital, analog, and RF
- Support Electrical Engineers to define module/board level architecture, derive requirements.
- Produce module specifications and other documentation
- Implement FPGA and microcontroller-based circuitry
- Design bring-up and test procedures for electronic systems. Troubleshoot, root cause, and drive issues to closure
- Participate in hardware design reviews
- Perform design verification, environmental, signal integrity, and EMC testing on PCBAs
- Interface with mechanical, software, design, and quality assurance teams for product integration and reliability
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Second or third co-op
- Pursuing a BS in EE or ECE
- Previous experience in robotics, automotive, or aerospace electrical engineering
- Experience with standard electrical engineering CAD tools for schematic capture, simulation, and layout (Altium, Orcad, Spice, PADS, or equivalent design tools – Altium preferred)
- Experience with initial board bringup and debugging to design verification and production
- Experience with PCB layout & fabrication
- Experience programming embedded microcontrollers in C/C++
- Effective communication skills
- Basic soldering, crimping, rework, and electronic prototyping experience
- Experience with standard lab equipment (oscilloscopes, power supplies, programmable loads, etc.)
- Experience with regulatory standards or design in a regulated environment (MIL-STD, FAA, IEC 61508, ISO 26262) which requires fulfilling quality systems regulations in the design and development lifecycle
- Experience designing hardware testing systems for production
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.