We're the driverless car company. We’re building the world’s best autonomous vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
Our vehicles are on the road in California, Arizona, and Michigan navigating some of the most challenging and unpredictable driving environments. We’re hiring people who want to solve some of today’s most complex engineering challenges and make a positive impact.
Our vehicles utilize highly detailed maps as a shared state of the world, which allow them to make appropriate decisions in real time. GM/Cruise is looking for a Systems Engineer to define specifications for development and validation of mapping technologies for autonomous driving systems. As a Systems Engineer for Mapping at Cruise, you’ll have the chance to help define and test the HD Maps used by our Autonomous Vehicle to navigate safely and successfully in the real world.
This is a great opportunity for individuals to apply transferable knowledge and experience from other industries, such as civil/transportation engineering or geographic sciences.
- Develop feature, system and subsystem requirements for HD map gathering, labeling and distribution for autonomous driving
- Lead the development of and traceability of system requirements for testing and validation
- Analyze and negotiate requirements with internal and external stakeholders, trace their implementation throughout product development and integration
- Interface with QA and data analysis groups to monitor and feed performance back through the requirements to evaluate the quality and accuracy of the HD maps.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with teams in perception and motion planning to evaluate map dependencies to drive feature and system requirements
- Translate mapping system requirements and implementation architecture into testable sub-system level requirements and verification plans
- Lead problem resolution, tracking, and provide feedback on status to tracked problems
- Apply solid technical understanding, critical reasoning and a structured approach to solving problems in both familiar and unfamiliar domains
- BS or MS in Systems Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Transportation Engineer or another relevant engineering field
- 5+ years of industry experience developing complex system requirements
- Expertise in map modeling, civil or transportation engineering.
- Ability to process a large amount of information flow, identify multiple parameters, interdependencies and inconsistencies to provide both high level systems overview and deep subject matter expertise
- Strong analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities while maintaining a commitment to the tasks at hand
- Excellent technical and nontechnical communication & presentation skills
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with a high tolerance of ambiguity
- Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tools related to transportation
- Experience with robotics or autonomous vehicles
- Experience in automotive radar, vision, LiDAR, IMU, sensor fusion
- Experience working in regulated environment
- Skilled in cross functional team communication; scrum and agile techniques
- Experience with system FMEA process & DFMEA (Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis) for recording potential failure modes and planned corrective actions
- Knowledge of ISO 26262 to manage safety related requirements
- Solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including matched 401k, medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Lunch, snacks, and dinner
- Free rides in self-driving cars!
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.