We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is developing technology that will impact generations to come. Our fast-growing communications team is seeking a Senior Writer/Editor who will write and edit copy intended for a variety of audiences including Cruise employees, our social media channels, members of the media, as well as the general public. The ideal candidate will be able to easily translate complicated technical concepts into language accessible to everyone.
Not only will you be the best writer on our team, you’ll be the best editor. We will look to you to tackle the most difficult writing assignments quickly and to complete them ahead of schedule. We’ll expect you to raise our game and coach everyone on the team to be a better writer.
Most likely, you’ll be one of the most creative people we’ve ever worked with. While your work will be an important creative outlet for you, it’s unlikely that it is your only creative outlet. We’re expecting to hire a natural storyteller -- someone who knows how to craft a narrative. We also are seeking someone who can write blog posts and the occasional speech for for our C-level executives. Our goal will be to capture the individual voices of these executives, not to reshape them into someone that they’re not.
While we expect we will learn from you, we also expect you will learn from us. Our team believes that by learning from one another, we are stronger and more effective than we would be otherwise.
It’s not often that a communicator is given a ground-floor opportunity to help shape what will become one of the world’s most told business stories of the next decade. This is that opportunity.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Communicate complex, state-of-the-art technology to a variety of audiences.
- Research and write engaging copy for a variety of assignments -- everything from social media content, to pitch-emails to journalists, to copy for our employee communications newsletters.
- Quickly adapt to last minute asks and changing timelines with flexibility and good humor.
- Develop and maintain the Cruise style guide that will be used by writers throughout the company.
- Be a sharp copy editor for your own writing, as well as for others.
- Collaborate effectively with a variety of colleagues inside and outside of Cruise.
- Juggle multiple projects on fast-moving schedules with competing deadlines.
- Work closely with C-suite executives and other company experts to create content in their respective voices, while maintaining fidelity to the Cruise brand.
You may be a good fit:
- 10+ years as a journalist, writer, or editor.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Expertise in AP Style.
- Experience writing content that reflects an established voice and tone guidelines.
- Strong collaborator who thrives in fast-paced environments.
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to drive content projects from start to finish.
- A superb writer and storyteller who can distill complex ideas into simple and compelling messages, and articulate not just what’s happening but why it matters.
- A team player who enjoys working with others to accomplish both big and small goals.
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, dinner, and snacks
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.