We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:Our mission is to develop and deploy autonomous vehicles safely. To do so requires a full state-of-the-art software ecosystem that will accelerate our experimentation and iteration rate. Our team develops the essential foundational components and platforms that will allow us to achieve that goal. Ranging from Core Infra components, Data Lake, analytics platform, compute platform, Machine learning platform, PaaS, CI/CD tools and pipelines, Simulation platform, and much more, this team is critical to the success of the company as a whole.
We’re looking for a Principal Engineer to join us as one of the few technical leaders responsible for the coherence of the engineering community at Cruise. This role will guide the overall technical strategy based on a deep understanding of the business, and industry context. You will lead the technical direction and architecture of critical projects, work with internal customers to understand and define complex requirements, perform code reviews, and mentor others.
- Architect and develop highly scalable backend & frontend software
- Own the vision and direction for performance, reliability, and deployment for all software developed by your team
- Lead by example setting standards for code, design, and processes across the organization.
- Proven record of creating relevant frameworks for teams to implement according to their needs.
- Lead design reviews and architectural sign off for critical areas. Probes assumptions to uncover design flaws by considering a system wide view larger than that of the team’s.
- One of few technical leaders responsible for the coherence of the engineering community at Cruise. Responsible for representing the company in highly visible technical venues and conferences, and keeping the engineering community up to date with advanced technical topics.
- Considered one of the technical leaders of the organization who guides the overall tech strategy based on a deep understanding of the business and industry context.
- Initiate solutions to difficult problems or big opportunities that require work across multiple departments. Able to segment the work between teams across the architectural boundaries and finalize contracts, SLAs, and operating agreements.
- Conduct technical interviews for candidates
- Play an active role in Principal level promotion reviews and the overall tech talent evaluation of their organization.
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Effective at building consensus across teams.
- Able to advise leadership at the director+ level on technical strategy and tech teams talent needs.
- Expert in setting architectures that are scalable, cost effective, fault tolerant and are easily extensible allowing for changes overtime without major disruptions.
- Able to own the most complex and demanding code or design across multiple systems. Ability to both dive deep in complex areas as well as good breadth of understanding of systems outside of their domain.
- Ability to wear several hats shifting between coding, design, technical strategy, and mentorship combined with great judgment on when to switch contexts to meet the greatest need.
- Exceptional coding abilities, architecture, debugging, and performance/diagnostics measurement skills
- Experience building large, scalable software systems in at least one of Go, Node.js, or Python
- Experience building modern frontend systems using React + Webpack
- BS in CS, Software Engineering, or related technical field
- Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.