We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for a talented Engineering Manager to lead, manage, and grow engineers teams in a fast-paced environment. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be contributing vast amounts of code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
We build web-based data annotation systems and scalable data pipelines, used by our on-site and remote labeling teams, to ingest, manipulate, and annotate multidimensional, multimodal time series data to produce ground truth for machine learning training and validation purposes. We also develop workflow management systems to measure the performance of our labeling teams, and analysis systems to track and continuously improve the quality of our datasets and the efficiency of our process.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Direct oversight of engineers building full-stack software and scalable data pipelines to support our Autonomous Vehicle development
- Coach and support Individual Contributor reports, and resolve conflicts both within your team, and between teams
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership roles
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Act as a sounding board and technical architect for your teams, help define technical vision and strategy and ensure the technical direction of your teams aligns with other teams across the company
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 3+ years in Tech Lead or Management roles
- 8+ years general Software Engineering experience
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching Engineering Managers
- Experience working with relational databases
- Experience building scalable APIs
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
- Self-motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices and constantly improve
- Experience writing in Go, ES6, Python, or similar
- Experience working with frontend technology such as react and redux
- Experience working with Docker development and deployment workflows
- Working knowledge of applied machine learning and 3D geometry
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.