We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
We are looking for a talented Engineering Manager to lead, manage, and grow engineers teams in a fast-paced environment. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be contributing vast amounts of code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
We build web-based data annotation systems and scalable data pipelines, used by our on-site and remote labeling teams, to ingest, manipulate, and annotate multidimensional, multimodal time series data to produce ground truth for machine learning training and validation purposes. We also develop workflow management systems to measure the performance of our labeling teams, and analysis systems to track and continuously improve the quality of our datasets and the efficiency of our process.
What you'll be doing:
- Direct oversight of engineers building full-stack software and scalable data pipelines to support our Autonomous Vehicle development
- Coach and support Individual Contributor reports, and resolve conflicts both within your team, and between teams
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership roles
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Act as a sounding board and technical architect for your teams, help define technical vision and strategy and ensure the technical direction of your teams aligns with other teams across the company
What you must have:
- 3+ years in Tech Lead or Management roles
- 8+ years general Software Engineering experience
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching Engineering Managers
- Experience working with relational databases
- Experience building scalable APIs
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
- Self-motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices and constantly improve
- Experience writing in Go, ES6, Python, or similar
- Experience working with frontend technology such as react and redux
- Experience working with Docker development and deployment workflows
- Working knowledge of applied machine learning and 3D geometry
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.