We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Would you like to work with ground-breaking technology? Are you as comfortable behind the wheel as you are with a computer?
As an Autonomous Vehicle Trainer (AVT), you will help us test and improve the performance of our driverless cars. You will tackle hard problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications. You should have strong attention to detail, basic technical skills, and an excellent driving record. Integrity, good judgment, and the ability to work in a team environment are required at all times. You will be expected to keep certain project details confidential.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Work in teams, alternating (i) driving (some manual driving but primarily monitoring the vehicle's behavior in autonomous mode and taking over when necessary) and (ii) software monitoring and logging responsibilities and providing verbal feedback/directions about the AV’s environment.
- Complete timely and detailed ride reports for our operations and engineering teams
- Participate in the ongoing training of new AVTs
- Test other aspects of our robot cars, including an employees-only ride-hailing program
- Perform ad hoc projects as needed
- Licensed to drive a motor vehicle in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding your application and currently hold an active California Basic Class C driver's license or license encompassing Class C vehicles.
- No more than one point on driving record and excellent driving skills
- A clean background check and drug screen
- Ability to drive and/or spend time sitting in a car for 6-8 hours/day
- Ability to give and receive clear, prompt, understandable verbal and written communication
- Ability to accurately type and read on a laptop in a moving vehicle
- Ability to safely operate the vehicle in accordance with Cruise safety protocols and applicable law. This includes, but is not limited to, having a sufficient range of motion to turn a steering wheel, safely operating the accelerator and brake, checking blind spots and evaluating the environment, and maintaining appropriate air bag clearance.
- Ability to tolerate physical jolts and high speed starts, stops, turns, and maneuvers associated with driving or taking control of the autonomous vehicle in both training and daily job functions
- Ability to perform physical work including, but not limited to, bending, stooping, and various operational tasks
- Ability to work effectively and professionally in a stressful environment, including interactions with the public
- Ability to remain alert and extremely focused for two-hour uninterrupted blocks of time
- Ability to walk up and down flights of stairs
- Ability to satisfy the legal requirements to become an AVT (13 CCR § 227.34)
- 40 hours per week, five consecutive days, 8-hour shifts
- Multiple shift times available
- You may be required to work nights and/or weekends
This position is full-time employment with our contingent workforce partner, paying $23/hour and offering benefits, 401(k), and paid time off.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you believe that you will need an accommodation, please let us know.