We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
In our cars, you’re free to be yourself. It’s the same here at Cruise. We’re creating a culture that values the experiences and contributions of all of the unique individuals who collectively make up Cruise, so that every employee can do their best work.
Cruise is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, both in our workplace and in our products. If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, come join us. Even if you might not meet every requirement, we strongly encourage you to apply. You might just be the right candidate for us.
The Embedded Systems Team develops the first layers of software on the car, from interfacing with hardware, to moving large amounts of data up the software stack. We are looking for a dedicated Engineering Manager to lead, manage, and grow an engineering team in a fast-paced environment. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be the technical lead or contributing software day-to-day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
What you’ll be doing:
Direct oversight of engineers building highly reliable and performant software running on our Autonomous Vehicles
Review designs, guide architecture development, and supervise the full data and diagnostics pipeline from the edge to main compute
Coordinate closely with teams across the org: higher level software functions, fleet reliability, and operations to ensure diagnostic data will enable autonomous driving and support technicians and fleet uptime
Work with technical lead(s) to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
Work with Senior Managers, Engineering Directors, and Technical Program Managers to create and complete a roadmap for your team
Drive software engineering standard methodologies and best practices
Conduct performance evaluations, identify top performers, and support their growth into Technical Leadership or Engineering Management roles
Foster a healthy, collaborative culture and high-output team
Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and finding opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
What you must have:
3+ years experience managing teams who have shipped and support scalable production systems
5+ years experience in software engineering roles
Experience managing development for embedded software on edge devices including diagnostics
Self-motivated to lead your teams, encourage standard methodologies, and constantly improve
Effective interpersonal, leadership, and communication skills
Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent real world experience
Experience building or managing performance and safety critical systems or similar
Experience with DO-178, ISO-26262, or IEC-62304
Experience with modern C++11 or later development
Experience working with ROS or other robotics frameworks
Experience developing acoustics (voice, ultrasonics, touch and collision) software solutions
The salary range for this position is $150,700 - 221,500. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care, and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex, a working policy for US-Based Cruisers, lets you and your manager find the working style that’s best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home, or a combination of home and in-office time. - learn more about CruiseFlex here
Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price, and Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow. We offer a new kind of equity program called Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO), which combines IPO-like liquidity with the stability of remaining private - learn more about RLO here
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.