We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The In-Facility Navigation team is looking for a staff software engineer to lead technology and architectural decisions to build scalable dispatching services for autonomously managing our vehicles inside facilities. We are at a turning point in our business where we are close to launching a public product and we need to build scalable, world-class dispatching services to support multiple products including ride-hail, delivery, research and development, and more. It is quite an exciting time to create new solutions to tackle new challenges of a company coming out of research and development mode and moving into providing a real tangible product for the public.
What you’ll be doing:
Be a solver or an architect in one or more of our groups
Lead technology and architecture decisions, including originating and assessing technical designs, and communicating design with engineers, partners and executives
Uphold a high technical bar, and drive high quality engineering practices across our department and Cruise
Work collaboratively to establish and complete large, multi-team programs
Work with engineer managers and engineers, mentoring, coaching and growing them to help you accomplish the team’s goals
Work with our product managers to understand and evolve our suite of products to better serve our customers
What you must have:
You are humble, collaborative, and believe self-driving technology will save the world
You can make connections across different technical stacks, design patterns and development philosophies to come up with novel solutions.
You have a broad knowledge of cloud computing platforms (e.g. GCP), API design and deployment (Real-time, REST, GraphQL), containers and container orchestration platforms (e.g. docker, kubernetes), distributed systems, SOA and/or microservice-based architectures, datastore types and their tradeoffs, compute deployment strategies including serverless, common security vulnerabilities and mitigation, and web frontend development tech such as React
You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Your ideas, feedback, key decisions, and technical designs will be shared with other senior engineers, partners, and company’s leadership.
You have a strong product sense. You are aware of the value proposition of the products you are building. You must also have an execution-mindset, looking to deliver the most minimalist MVP, which can deliver the highest value for the company (aka lean product).
Experience or interest in ML and data science
The salary range for this position is $175,500 - 258,000. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and life insurance
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- One Medical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- 401(k) match
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, public health emergency, jury duty, bereavement and company holidays.
- Paid parental, family care and medical leave
- Family care benefits: fertility benefits, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (subsidized by Cruise).
- Non-remote employees: Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan, healthy meals and snacks
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
- We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.