We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Robotics Department is responsible for validating the autonomous performance of our Autonomous Vehicle (AV), and for building the software and algorithms that make the vehicle select and follow appropriate trajectories in a safe, accurate, and reliable manner. The department includes localization, routing, remote assistance, planning, controls, frameworks and performance, and Embedded Software (responsible for the hardware interface to the car’s actuators and sensors), as well as release management.
About the role:
We're looking for a Staff Systems Engineer to develop data-driven insights on the performance of our autonomous car, and use these insights to steer requirements and development activities, and influence test and validation activities.
In this position, you’ll have the chance to work at the intersection of hardware, software, and AV technology and have a hand in nearly every component of a technically sophisticated autonomous system.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Translating high-level verification and validation needs to testing objectives and requirements for testing technologies and products
- Driving technical roadmaps consistent with company goals on 1+ year timelines
- Applying novel Systems Engineering methods within Robotics, including validation of machine-learning systems.
- Building data tools and visualizations to enable better decisions
- Developing methods to analyze and compare the impact of SW changes on relevant performance metrics
- Conducting feasibility and trade studies, and developing the design and architecture of autonomous vehicle behavior testing technologies and products
- Translating data and analysis into concrete recommendations
- Collaborating with engineers and data scientists to define outcome metrics and success criteria
- Building and managing relationships with all relevant collaborators, including engineering leadership
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 10+ years of industry experience in systems engineering, software engineering, data analysis, data science, statistical analysis, or other related subject areas
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or another related field
- You are able to effectively and efficiently solve problems, using paretos, root cause analysis, and more.
- You have experience working with large datasets, SQL and Python or C++
- You are adaptable and can operate under ambiguity
- You have strong technical and non-technical communication skills
- You have strong critical thinking skills - you can interpret what the data is telling us, and which analyses will reveal impactful conclusions
- Experience with autonomous vehicles or other sophisticated and/or safety-critical robotics development
- Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.