We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Autonomous Vehicle Systems team writes the software responsible for deploying, running, and monitoring the Cruise software stack in a variety of environments, whether it be on car, simulation or in testing frameworks. As a Staff AV Systems Software Engineer you’ll build tools to configure, instrument, deploy, and monitor Cruise software for use both in developer workflows and across our fleet. The AV Systems team writes software that cuts across the entire AV software stack, collaborating with teams focused on autonomy, data analytics, as well as incorporating and driving specific hardware requirements and implementations . Your work will enable Cruise engineering to move quickly and efficiently, as we evaluate, support, and deploy to new hardware and software configurations. We offer WFH remote flexibility with occasional trips to SF/Sunnyvale
What you’ll be doing:
- Work with other teams to define the system level architecture and strategies for implementation.
- Initiate large projects with sophisticated architecture, breaking it down to the right logical components so others can be applied optimally.
- Design and build tools to deploy, execute, and monitor AV code in development and production workflows.
- Design and build tools to configure Cruise software for use in a variety of configurations across simulation and hardware platforms.
- Integrate new platform revisions and hardware configurations into the system.
- Develop systems and frameworks to monitor vehicle hardware / software status and exfiltrate data.
What you must have:
- 10+ years experience building and shipping production-quality software, with a focus on Linux
- Experience with Python (80%) or Go (20%)
- Linux and/or embedded Linux packaging experience, or otherwise building systems to distribute software
- Experience building system configuration tools (not just using)
- Experience working with and building tooling for large, complex systems
- Commitment to quality by designing for testability
- Experience with containerization, such as Docker, particularly outside of cloud infrastructure.
- Experience with ROS or other robotics middleware platforms.
- Experience writing software that works with hardware.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.