We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on EHS Manager - Fleet and Vehicle Service to join our Global Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) team and help us enable Cruise to accomplish its mission by providing partnership, guidance, and structure that ensures the well being of our people, communities, and planet.
In this position, you will collaborate with teams across Corporate Real Estate and Workplace (CREW), Commercial Operations, Operational Safety, Hardware R&D, Vehicle Incident Response, HR, and Legal Cruise to build a world-class workplace safety program in line with our company’s overall commitment to creating a safer world.
This is an Individual Contributor role with excellent growth opportunity!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Collaborate cross-region, cross-team and cross-function to develop, implement, and continually improve EHS programs with a focus on work activities associated with our fleet and vehicle service activities (Vehicle Service/Maintenance Operations, Commercial Fleet Operations, R&D, Emergency and Incident Response, EHS Training, and more)
- Develop and maintain EHS metrics and processes to track and drive progress in your areas of responsibility
- Review and improve on existing fleet EHS programs to ensure alignment with Cruise’s mission, strategy and values
- Conduct and/or review risk assessments, job hazard analyses, and provide advice on safety improvements
- Conduct or support incident investigations and develop and deliver on action plans for identified corrective actions
- Provide and/or coordinate training for workers on general industrial safety, hazard recognition and control, injury prevention, environmental compliance, and related topics.
- Ensure that key risks and compliance requirements related to fleet and vehicle service activities are identified, advanced and controlled
- Understand, analyze, and interpret EHS standards and regulatory requirements and trends and develop strategies for compliance and management of risk
- Partner closely with the Commercial Operations team to understand business needs and ensure EHS is institutionalized as Cruise scales
- Partner closely with the Operational Safety team to develop and implement the company-wide Safety Management System and safety information systems
- Facilitate health and safety committees and similar teams and engagement initiatives
- Recruit, train, and coach EHS “liaisons” in business units to embed EHS best practices in day-to-day operations
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of progressive experience in EHS and/or related programs in vehicle service operations, transportation, or related industries
- Robust knowledge and experience in industrial and garage safety management including fleet operations, garage equipment and machinery safety, and related topics
- Intimate knowledge of OSHA, NFPA, ANSI and related regulations and standards
- Strong analytical skills with ability to provide clear recommendations and solutions, managing through ambiguity to provide clarity to cross-functional teams
- Ability to apply an understanding of EHS knowledge specific to fleet and vehicle service related business activities to independently address work assignments
- Ability to deliver a complete solution, from ideation to implementation, for EHS challenges related to fleet and vehicle service operations
- Ability to negotiate and creatively problem solve for mutually successful outcomes with business leaders
- Ability to explain EHS concepts, programs and processes to multiple audiences and partners, including senior management, and make recommendations with supporting evidence
- Stays current with EHS industry trends, is a member of professional safety associations (ASSP, AIHA, etc.), and has a strong network of EHS professionals for best practice sharing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer literacy skills including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and email communication (Google Suite preferred)
- Ability to be agile, flexible, and adaptable to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and matrixed team environment
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education in an EHS-focused subject area, a science or engineering field, or equivalent years of experience
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
- Proficient in hazmat/haz waste management for garage and vehicle service operations
- Safety Professional certification (ASP, GSP, CSP, CHMM) or related safety designation
- Master’s Degree in EHS, Occupational Health, or a related field
- Experience working in a company with an active Safety Management System
- Understanding of Just Culture and/or system approaches to safety improvement and interventions
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.