We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Sensors team is responsible for the development and deployment of all sensors on our autonomous vehicles. As a staff mechanical engineer for LiDARs, you will be responsible for developing high performance LiDARs from concept through to volume production. The LiDARs that you will develop must effectively perform in harsh automotive environments including high temperature, humidity, water, dust, shock, vibration, and etc.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide technical leadership to engineering teams in mechanical, thermal, and opto-mechanical design that is manufacturable for commercial production and meets requirements for autonomous driving
- Highly hands on designer that can own: CAD for module, electro-mechanical design and integration, tolerance analysis, thermal design/verification, and opto-mechanical design.
- Improve the design for manufacturability and cost optimization
- Collaborate with partners to define requirements and engineering specifications
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams such as electrical engineering, optical engineering, sensor platform, systems engineering, reliability, and manufacturing teams
- Lead engagements with manufacturing partners and external suppliers to implement the mechanical design
- Collaborate with OEM and internal vehicle integration teams to define the installation and integration of LiDAR modules into Cruise autonomous vehicles
- Troubleshoot issues with design, manufacturing, reliability, and vehicle integration throughout various product development phases and from the field during test driving and after product launch
- Mentor and coach associate and senior mechanical engineers
- Help define the Cruise sensor suites through market benchmarking and make-versus-buy analysis
- Contribute to Cruise’s technology roadmap through research and evaluation of future LiDAR technologies
What you must have:
- BS, MS, or PhD in engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, or related field + more than 8 years experience in the relevant industry
- Experience leading optical sensor's development from early stages through to production
- Experience with sophisticated technical systems
- Ability to adapt and operate under ambiguity
- Experience with technical and nontechnical communication skills
- Experience with lidar development
- Experience with optical / opto-mechanical design and devices
- Experience working with automotive OEMs, Tier 1, and Tier 2 suppliers
- Experience with high-reliability/high-availability systems (e.g. aerospace, automotive, medical)
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.