We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
Cruise is looking for a Senior Hardware Engineer to help us develop and integrate next-generation high-performance LiDAR sensors to our vehicles. The Senior Hardware Engineer works with systems engineering, vehicle integration, perception software, fleet reliability and external partners to develop and integrate cutting-edge technologies to our autonomous vehicles and conduct in-depth root cause investigations into vehicle-specific or fleet-wide issues to develop long-term solutions to these issues.
In this role you will develop Cruise or third-party sensors to meet systems and perception requirements, carry out sensor and system characterization and integration and follow on to fleet rollout and support.
If you’re interested in helping to make autonomous driving a reality, let’s chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with software developers, systems engineers, and hardware teams to develop sensor specifications based on perception and system requirements
- Work with our internal and external partners and suppliers to evaluate and develop leading edge LiDAR sensors
- Perform data analysis to evaluate LiDAR performance
- Develop processes and tools to evaluate and characterize sensors and improve fleet performance and reliability
- Coordinate sensor integration efforts including component placement, mechanical, electrical, optical, and software integration
- Team up with fleet teams to identify, troubleshoot and root cause issues and work with developers and suppliers to find solutions
What you must have:
- BS or MS degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Automotive, Industrial, or similar Engineering. 5+ years industry experience or equivalent
- Experience in an industrial, manufacturing, automotive, robotics, or similar industry
- Hands-on experience with mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components and an understanding of how they interact in a complex electromechanical system
- Able to ramp up quickly on numerous new technical areas
- Exceptional analytical with the ability to adapt and operate under ambiguity
- Strong communication skills
- Programming skills for purposes of automated testing and data processing, i.e. scripting, Python, Matlab, knowledge of APIs, and data security
- Experience in automotive, sensors, or calibration, especially LiDAR
- Experience with CV algorithms and CNN based approaches for detection and classification tasks
- Experience in the automotive industry
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.