We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
Cruise is looking for the leader of our Delivery Business Unit on a global basis. The Delivery Business will commercialize a multi billion dollar delivery and logistics business that transport physical goods via Cruise autonomous vehicles to end customers. We’ll work across a range of channels (grocery, package, restaurants) and partners. We have just completed our first deliveries with Walmart in Phoenix which represented our first commercialization of Cruise self driving technology. Walmart has chosen to invest in Cruise and our goal is to scale our partnership with Walmart across all stores globally.
The Director of the Delivery Business Unit will build an organization that commercializes our self driving technology in a manner that reaches significant scale. The Director will be responsible for leading a team to create delivery experiences that are outstanding both in terms of customer delight and lower cost versus today’s human driven solutions.
The Delivery team will be based in San Francisco, CA and will work closely with our product, engineering, and operations teams. This position will report to the Senior Vice President of Commercialization. Cruise is excited to offer flexible working arrangements that foster work-life balance. Additionally, we look forward to returning to our Cruise offices towards the end of 2021.
What you’ll be doing:
- You’ll lead the Delivery Business Unit P&L and will be responsible for ensuring we hit our business plan goals for customers, revenue, and profit. Our goal is to scale to hundreds of millions of customers in the next five years to build a multi billion dollar business that is profitable and enduring.
- Recruit and build a multi-functional business unit team that enables us to meet our goals. Team will require customer business development leaders (to lead our efforts with partners like Walmart), business development leaders who strategically determine and develop future channels and partners (i.e. package delivery with a leading brand in the space), market operations leaders who work closely with local market general managers to improve our operations. The leader will also be expected to provide business unit leadership for product managers, designers, customer marketers, strategists, analytics, and financial teammates.
- Create a vision for the business unit and align the organization to a multi year strategy that will enable us to achieve our customer and business goals. The Delivery Business Unit strategy should define where to play, how to win, and articulate the steps and building blocks we’ll take to achieve our goals. The strategy should define what creates our defendable strategic advantage and ensure that the actions we take lead us to strengthen this advantage.
- Be a key leader who interfaces deeply with our channel customers. Be adept at customer development and leadership. Lead the development of shared goals with our customers and enable Cruise to build our business through our customer partners. Be able to coach, teach, and develop our team to be effective partners for our channel customers.
- Partner and work closely with our Operations Market Managers and with our Product Management and Engineering leaders to align roadmaps, resources, and priorities. Effectively communicate the vision for the Delivery Business Unit and lead through influence across our teams to ensure we have alignment to a roadmap and development plan that we can execute. The work will require ability to build trust and navigate tradeoffs and resource constraints with competing priorities in the organization.
What you must have:
- Experience leading a P&L with demonstrated experience in customer development, people leadership, marketing, finance, operations, engineering and strategy.
- A leader who has a consistent track record of building robust teams. Must be principled, consistent, inclusive, and inspiring. An individual who can demonstrate an ability to build diverse and effective teams that become beacons for a company’s culture will be valued.
- A strategic individual who has experience building a business towards the first billion dollars in revenue while working through ambiguous challenges. Must have the ability to have a vision of the future while being agile enough to adapt the business unit plans based on what we learn from in market operations
- Proven track record to work well across functional teams. Must be able to lead directly and lead through influence. The leader will be expected to work through tough trade offs with product, engineering, and operations. Must be able to lead effectively laterally in the organization.
- Experience in customer leadership. We will build our delivery business through customers (Walmart, Fedex, Doordash are examples of potential customers). The right leader should have great experiences to share and strong feedback from customers they have served in past roles.
- Experience in leading development of strategy. We’ll be looking for a leader that can critically evaluate all of the potential opportunities to grow our business and lead a team to make clear where to play and how to win choices that maximize competitive advantage and sustained growth over time.
- Strength in building trusted brands. Must understand brand and marketing management and have an ability to strengthen the Cruise brand through our execution of our Delivery Business Unit.
- Experience working in high growth technology companies with a track record of driving explosive revenue growth (+30% per year for 3+ years) at significant scale (businesses that have grown or will grow to be multiple billions of revenue).
- An understanding of the delivery or logistics space would be highly valued.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.