We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
Cruise is co-developing a Shared Autonomous vehicle or SAV with GM and Honda. As a Vehicle Engineer, you will be responsible for the hardware development of special variants to this base SAV as well as strategic base SAV development activities. This role requires you to work cross-functionally with Product, Operations and Design, reporting to our Vehicle Engineering lead.
An ideal candidate has extensive experience with the product development cycle of a vehicle. This would cover development of requirements, developing initial designs, hands-on prototyping, and working with manufacturers to develop and test these systems all the way to certification. The role would require one to think creatively and be agile in a field that is constantly evolving and improving.
What you’ll be doing:
- You’ll be part of a small, high visibility team at Cruise that works on special projects that look at opportunities to broaden the utility of the Origin platform.
- You’ll be developing electronics modules and bringing them to life for Origin variants. Working with internal experts you would need to develop initial designs and architectures. Based on your initial studies, you would create and manage engineering requirements for external suppliers.
- You’ll provide guidance on electronics module designs, custom PCBA level design; including but not limited to custom design work / board packaging, board thermals, board level EMC/EMI shielding, etc.
- You’ll provide guidance on electronics packaging, wire harness routing, and best practices for proper integration of electro-mechanical systems. Support in-vehicle assembly and mounting studies.
- You’ll work cross-functionally with various organizations within the Cruise family to ensure alignment with the organization’s broader goals - including but not limited to: Cruise Product and Design, Safety, Test and Reliability, New Business Initiatives, other supportive engineering families.
- You will need to work with suppliers and lead/provide guidance to their project teams as they execute on the details of the design strategy and early designs.
- You’ll support the development of testing and validation strategies on a variety of electro-mechanical projects at various stages of the product development process.
- You’ll closely work with our testing and reliability teams, our simulation experts, product and design engineers, and other supporting contributors.
- You’ll be working on a variety of parallel projects within the vehicles team - leading the design strategy and early development of our electro-mechanical systems.
- Challenging yourself everyday to think creatively in solving problems that need a fine balance of engineering performance, cost and aesthetics while meeting the strict safety standards that Cruise adheres to.
- Provide frequent, timely, and targeted updates to project leads.
What you must have:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Automotive Engineering (or related field)
- 4 years of product development experience
- Ability to own and drive the development of electronics for various projects
- Strong rapid prototyping experience (Raspberry Pi., Arduino) - able to quickly turn an idea into a prototype
- Familiarity with CAE analysis relevant to sensor and module designs - thermal, shock, vibration, dynamics
- Experience with OEM or Tier 1 development processes
- Working level understanding of manufacturing processes for low and high volume production (stamping, injection molding, thermoforming, 3D printing, bending, etc)
- Strong need to be comfortable with change, ability to be self-directed, respond effectively in case of program ambiguities by driving cross-functional technical requirements
- Ability to create succinct technical reports with clear trade-offs and recommendations
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Familiarity with automotive safety regulation. Familiarity with FMVSS and ECE crash laws and developing hardware that complies to those laws
- Deep understanding of consumer product regulatory compliance testing and requirements: FCC, CE, VCCI, GMW, etc
- Experience designing high reliability and safety critical electronics hardware around telematics and multi-sensory HMI and actuation systems
- Strong CAD (SolidWorks, NX, Altium, OrCAD, Allegro, PADS, or ANSYS) capabilities. Familiar with PLM systems (Teamcenter preferred) in a full production environment
- Experience with active heating / cooling systems
- Experience with aftermarket niche manufacturing and working with external vendors
- Previous experience working in a consulting environment, with designers and new concept studies
- Familiarity with certification testing
- Working knowledge of DFMEAs or other quality management systems
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.