We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The External Communications Manager, Engineering is responsible for developing and implementing external communications strategies that amplify Cruise’s best-in-class engineering organization and establish the company as a top tech employer. As we accelerate the commercialization of self-driving vehicles, we increasingly need to attract and engage the best talent to deliver this generation-defining technology. This position will focus on growing our employer brand by amplifying our mission, culture and technology.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop and execute on an innovative external communications comprehensive strategy to highlight Cruise’s technical strategy and advantages as well as prominently position Cruise as a top tech employer.
- Work closely with teams across Cruise, including Engineering, Communications, and Recruiting, to manage key announcements and story mine opportunities to amplify the company, its technology and its people externally.
- Build and manage a strategic roadmap of engineering and employer brand initiatives, including interview opportunities, speaking events, awards, contributed content and social media presence to spotlight Cruise as a technical leader and an impactful place to work.
- Collaborate and provide guidance to senior engineering leadership as a trusted advisor and employer branding specialist.
- Build and maintain close, productive relationships with journalists, key partners, and influencers in the tech, business, and consumer press.
- Develop compelling communications materials, including technical story pitches, interview material, statements, and contributed content pieces.
What you must have:
- Have a passion and appreciation for how all-electric, shared, self-driving vehicles can fundamentally change the way we live and positively impact society.
- 6+ years of experience in tech PR and relationships within tech, business, and consumer press.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing or a related field required.
- Experience in engineering PR with an understanding of how to attract and hire technical talent in a competitive market.
- Excellent relationship management skills and ability to provide communications guidance to partners and executives.
- Ability to self-start, own strategy, priorities and execution of initiatives from beginning to end with limited oversight.
- Ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously in an organized fashion and work efficiently with a team of colleagues and cross-functional partners.
- Ability to understand complex issues and zoom out and tell a broader brand story, demonstrating excellent technical judgment.
- Ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborative teammate and willing to dive into a fun and fast moving environment.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.