We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Design team at Cruise is a passionate multidisciplinary group of designers, researchers, and 3D artists driving the future of autonomous urban mobility. Their unique challenge is to introduce emerging AV technology to people’s daily lives with the promise of saving lives, money, and time. With the support of General Motors, the team creates a holistic end-to-end experience of our autonomous ride-sharing and delivery platform—from the tools that train the AVs to the vehicle interiors of tomorrow. They seek to continue building a team of individuals as inclusive as the future we're creating, thoughtfully crafting everything from hardware and software to 3D and sound.
We are looking for a Human Factors Researcher to join our Research and Insights team to ensure the safety of our autonomous vehicle fleet testing and operations.
What you’ll be doing:
- Act as technical member of the Research and Insights team to reduce human error and make human-machine interaction more safe, while promoting human-centered design and our safety culture at Cruise
- Lead targeted research to evaluate and understand technical system-level usability and identify and evaluate hazards in processes, workflows, and interface design - including considerations for usability, mental load, workload, and human error
- Collaborate closely with other researchers, designers, and product managers to identify and prioritize opportunities where research can help improve human interface design
- Lead all aspects of research projects including: Meet with stakeholders, scope projects, choose methodologies, create research plans, write discussion guides/surveys, lead interview sessions, analyze research insights/data, and write actionable and impactful reports
- Communicate research findings through rich storytelling via presentations, reports, workshops and other creative approaches
What you must have:
- B.A./B.S. in Human Factors, HCI, Engineering or equivalent
- 2+ years of industry experience in human factors engineering or research, human-in-the-loop testing, or safety-critical operations
- Track record of developing and executing research plans for workload, usability, and human error
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams and proactively communicating throughout the process
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical skills and problem resolution skills. Data driven approach.
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision and take initiative to solve problems
- M.A./M.S/ PhD in a related field
- Technical knowledge of AV systems, fleets, flight crews, and/or driver performance
- Real-time operations experience on a complex system that has high consequences in the event of failure (such as pilot, flight test engineer, spacecraft operator, high performance automotive, technical diving, etc.)
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.