We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
We are looking for a Senior Engineer for our software safety activities. In this position, you will develop implementation of Cruise’s software safety strategies for the Autonomous Driving software, development tools needed to achieve our mission of superhuman driving performance, and guide developers on safety practices.
If you're interested in improving software safety while enabling nimble software development and quick iterations, let's chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop and formulate safety strategies for Cruise’s software development
- Balance the needs of nimble software development and quick iterations with software safety requirements, tailoring the software safety approaches for different types and applications of software
- Collaborate with software engineering team and safety team to develop standards, systems engineering tools, processes and procedures to implement software safety strategies
- Adapt and adopt relevant safety standards and industry best practices to augment Cruise’s internal software safety practices
- Apply Functional Safety principles and framework as appropriate
- Lead the definition of software safety requirements, assess safety risks, be responsible for and perform hazard analyses, support software architecture design and analysis, and develop software safety validation strategies and hazard mitigation plans
- Participate in software design and code reviews to enhance software safety -- direct coding is not required, but you will need understanding object-oriented languages.
- Support software quality control, continuous integration, release and improvement processes
- Develop the software safety case as part of the overall safety case for Cruise’s Autonomous Driving technologies and products
- Advocate for software safety across all levels of the organization
What you must have:
- Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field. Master’s Degree strongly preferred
- 7+ years of hands-on experience in software development, software verification and validation
- At least 2 years of direct experience in System Safety engineering and software safety
- Knowledge of Functional Safety (ISO26262) and its application in software
- Expertise in safety analyses (e.g. Hazard and Risk Analysis, System-theoretic Process Analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, etc.)
- Proven track record of successes, e.g. having successfully worked with software safety for safety-critical products and services
- Ability to adapt industrial standards to new applications, but not be completely bound by them
- Ability to apply simple principles to solve sophisticated problems
- Strong interpersonal skills to influence software development without owning it
- Ability to articulate technical issues and solutions to all levels of the business, within and beyond the engineering communities
- Direct experience in software safety for autonomous vehicles or automotive systems
- Experience in mentoring and supporting junior engineers
- Experience in safety incident investigation with regulatory bodies
- Experience with big query
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We’re Integrated
- We’re Funded
- We’re Independent
- We’re Vested
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.