We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
Software Engineers at Cruise build and run reliable, scalable, and performant service platforms that keep Cruise and our fleet of autonomous vehicles moving. We accomplish this by supporting the creation, deployment and scaling of self driving software on cloud services with a consistent service level objective.
We are seeking a Staff Software Engineer to lead key initiatives within our Service Platform team, passionate about developer productivity interfaces, Kubernetes, and Continuous Deployment for large scale production systems at Cruise. The successful candidate will have experience building and running scalable distributed systems, will bring innovative ideas and approaches, should have intellectual curiosity, and strong problem-solving skills.
If you are looking to tackle one of today’s most sophisticated engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us!
What you’ll be doing:
- Design core, backend software components and frontend interfaces
- Code using primarily Go, C/C++, Nodejs
- Work with technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform
- Collaborate with other teams to incorporate their innovations and vice versa
- Conduct design and code reviews
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of various system resources
- Proactively identify and lead changes as needed for large design improvements across Cruise infrastructure or product area and/or systems
- Work on large scale initiatives to raise the overall Cruise engineering bar.
- Participate/lead open source projects. Lead/drive community recognition for Cruise engineering.
What you must have:
- 8+ years of programming experience in either Go, C, C++, or other relevant coding languages
- 4+ years relevant experience building large-scale infrastructure applications or similar experience with distributed systems
- 4+ years of experience leading and driving large scale initiatives
- Leadership experience identifying and driving large scale technical design changes in your previous roles.
- Leadership/active participation in the open source community is desirable.
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure, or Amazon Web Services
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, and configuration management tools like Terraform preferred.
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or related field or relevant industry experience.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We’re Integrated
- We’re Funded
- We’re Independent
- We’re Vested
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.