We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Simulation group delivers products that accelerate and validate our autonomous vehicle (AV) development through specialized frameworks and tools. As a Staff Simulation Systems Engineer on this team, you will provide technical leadership for a wide variety of Simulation Systems Engineering initiatives, including validation of replay scenarios and synthetic scenarios, verifying individual components of the AV stack and current and future sensors, and verifying methods of end-to-end testing our AVs in simulated 3D worlds. This dedicated expert will work closely with Cruise’s AV teams, Simulation software engineering, QA, and future technology teams to guide the Simulation team as they validate AV software before the cars hit the road.
What you’ll be doing:
- Be a champion in evaluating customer and user needs to define and coordinate system performance requirements.
- Lead various analysis to optimize total system, subsystems and/or system architecture and performance; Establish critical telemetry, metrics, and standards for relevant feedback loops.
- Lead analysis for safety, validity, affordability, reliability, maintainability, testability, human systems integration, product assurance and other specialty quality factors into a preferred configuration to ensure mission success.
- Work with your team, partners, product managers, and technical program managers to build, prioritize, and execute an engineering roadmap for your Simulation Systems Team.
- Guide the development of planning, organization, implementation and monitoring of requirements, architecture, design, tools, risk, issues, opportunities and the technology readiness assessment processes.
- Collaborate with your teams, product partners, technical leadership, QA, internal and external partners to plan and execute engineering roadmaps, review and guide technical designs, and deliver high-quality products on time.
- Work with Cruise technical leadership to set and propagate best-in-class engineering design and development practices within your teams.
- Collaboratively identify and close gaps in tooling and data introspection to accelerate engineer velocity within Simulation.
- Hire, mentor, and empower exceptional teams of Systems Engineers responsible for designing, developing, and supporting products for testing autonomous vehicle software via simulation.
- Be a culture leader within Cruise, exemplifying our values and maintaining sharp focus on our mission
- Possess a creative problem solving and continuous improvement approach which leaves everything you touch better that it was before
- Wear different hats shifting between implementation, design, technical strategy, and mentorship combined with great judgment on when to switch contexts to meet the greatest need.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead and communicate engineering analyses that provide teams with all the information needed to develop and continuously improve the systems function and performance.
- Lead and develop processes and methodologies to establish long-term and stable requirements, verification/validation, risk management, metrics and KPIs, and/or software solutions to advanced problems.
- Collaborate with Engineering Managers to ensure design, implementation, and programs are on track, and regularly drive consensus among diverse partners on technical projects.
- Drive planning and execution by breaking complex products into projects and/or achievements that deliver incremental value to teams and customers.
- Execute and iterate on requirements at all phases of development to ensure that requirements are implemented and tested within a timeframe that aligns with Cruise landmarks and the work you are doing.
- Conceptualize and prepare clear proposals and design documents for large-scope, multi-functional programs, and advocate to relevant customers and partners.
- Employ an agile approach in identifying areas of critical need, and assist in maintaining a sharp focus of the Simulation System Engineering team according to urgency/priorities.
What you must have:
- 12+ years experience in systems engineering, requirements management, risk management, software development, and validation/testing.
- 10+ years experience in integrated software engineering, simulation frameworks, 3D video game engineering, robotics, or similar.
- 5+ years of experience as an engineer leader; recruiting, training, mentoring, leading, and retaining the best talent.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, or equivalent experience in 3D software and simulation.
- Ability to lead with multi-functional communication and collaboration skills, and to concisely and clearly advocate vision and present written documents and live presentations to partners, executive leadership, and Cruise as a whole.
- Passion for safe, fully-electric, self-driving technology and its upcoming impact on the world.
- Prior simulation experience, especially an understanding of autonomous vehicle simulation.
- Experience with fast-growth companies and recruiting/retaining the best talent.
- Passion for learning new technologies every day, in a company with many, possibly-unfamiliar, cross-discipline skill sets, ranging from assembly line auto manufacturing to cutting edge ML/AI training.
- A customer service approach, keeping a tight loop with internal users of simulation software, actively seeking out requirements, and adapting simulation designs to align with evolving needs.
- Proven success in defining and implementing detailed test plans, designs and execution.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.