We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Risk team at Cruise is building first in kind insurance programs designed to equip Cruise to protect, mitigate and manage its risk. We are a team of risk professionals who utilize a range of innovative tools anchored in data & risk analytics to shape the future of AV insurance by creating proprietary risk solutions & products that enable us to profitably capitalize on market opportunities for Cruise. You will support this effort by developing new actuarial methodologies and cost of risk analyses bespoke to the self-driving fleets of tomorrow. You will help analyze thousands of miles of daily real world driving and millions of miles from simulated driving and utilize your actuarial acumen to develop prospective estimates of Cruise’s total cost of risk. You will work collaboratively with Cruise’s Safety and Data Science teams to evaluate, measure, benchmark and quantify Cruise’s safety performance to inform your estimates of the cost of existing and evolving risk and insurance programs. These estimates will inform our ongoing and future insurance strategies, assist in the development of bespoke risk transfer products, and keep the company advised on its evolving total cost of risk.
As a Cruise Actuary, you will work directly with an array of stakeholders, including executive leadership, Autonomous Vehicle (AV) engineers, product managers, and operations teams.
The ideal candidate for this role has a blend of actuarial creativity, proven track record of developing analyses with limited historical data, is technically robust and has demonstrated the ability to develop valuable business insights from massive data, and works to discover and address customer needs through their output.
What you’ll be doing:
- Be an active member of a growing team of risk professionals, actuaries and analysts with diverse technical background
- Develop models and statistical analyses to measure the cost of risk across product lines, geographies and time
- Research and develop new actuarial methodologies and data sources to inform Cruise actuarial analysis and cost of risk studies
- Collaborate with Data Science and Engineering to build the analytical tools and data structures required to facilitate all actuarial analyses at Cruise
- Partnering with Safety Research and Product safety engineers to measure performance and benchmark Cruise cost of risk
- Be a thought leader in the risk and insurance space
- Provide risk advisory service to product and operations teams in furtherance of business objectives
- Serve as an embodiment of our values
What you must have:
- Experience driving multiple initiatives and projects across high output actuarial teams
- FCAS 6+ years experience in Property and Casualty insurance with Commercial and Personal Auto insurance, preferably with 3+ years experience with ride-hail/ride-share analytics.
- Expert knowledge and experience with advanced actuarial and statistical/predictive modeling techniques
- Concrete actuarial pricing and reserving experience
- Creative, resourceful, and enthusiastic about seeking innovative solutions to new problems and challenges
- A track record of leading cross-functional initiatives
- Experience in advising leadership at the director, VP and CRO level on Data driven decision making
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including clarity of thought and logic and ability to explain complex actuarial work products to non actuarial audiences
- Proficiency in SQL, Python and/or R
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We’re Integrated
- We’re Funded
- We’re Independent
- We’re Vested
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.