We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
The AV software stack heavily relies on machine learning techniques to perform a variety of tasks, each with different requirements of hardware/compute resources. Throughout the life-cycle of each machine learning model, skilled ML engineers (on both training and inference sides) work closely to prepare it for a robust, scalable, and compute/power efficient inferencing on a resource-constrained hardware accelerator. Such a close working relationship is key to a fast and successful deployment of intelligent systems on the car.
Cruise is looking for SML optimization engineers to help us invest in tools to architecturally optimize deep learning models for efficient inference. These optimizations are designed to reduce latency, improve throughput, reduce memory footprint without sacrificing model accuracy.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with engineers from different AV Engineering teams (e.g. Computer Vision, Perception, platform) to scope out system/software requirements while working with AV hardware to understand architectural optimization opportunities that are specific to the target hardware platform and its constraints. If you are interested in solving some of the most exciting machine learning optimization problems in the industry, then chat with us!
What you’ll be doing:
- Define and lead the team’s technical vision and roadmap for DL architecture optimizations
- Research, prototype and survey different ML architecture and workflow optimization techniques (e.g., Neural Architecture Search, auto-ML) and algorithms that are the current state-of-art.
- Develop proof-of-concepts of customized optimizations that demonstrate the benefit of your optimizations on real-world models using real-world datasets.
- Seamlessly incorporate model optimization into existing model training and post-training phases of the Cruise AI workflow
- A main driver for scientific and engineering excellence, setting standard and best practices along with mechanisms for their teams to follow.
- Contribute to strategic hiring across the company. Able to become a Bar Raiser continuously raising the hiring bar for Cruise.
- Provide mentorship and leverage the team’s fullest potential to achieve ambitious technical goals.
- Collaborate with cross functional agile teams of AV engineers
- Facilitate building and deployment of production software at the highest levels of quality and performance
What you must have:
- MS, or higher degree in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent, in industry experience
- 7+ years of experience in numerical optimization of compute graphs
- 3+ years of experience in neural architecture search (NAS), or auto-ML
- 3+ years of software engineering experience in developing high-quality production software
- Strong expertise with DL frameworks like Tensorflow, PyTorch etc.
- Strong programming skills in Python with an emphasis on data structures and algorithms.
- Strong expertise with software development lifecycle - coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- Strong communication and behavioral skills
- Experience in any of the following areas: Autonomous driving technology, Computer vision: 3D object detection, segmentation, Algorithmic complexity, deep learning performance analysis and profiling, distributed computing, AI accelerators, GPU’s
- Experience in working with cloud platforms
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We’re Integrated
- We’re Funded
- We’re Independent
- We’re Vested