We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the role:
As a Staff Software Architect (in Cruise’s Future Compute team), you will be responsible for designing and developing reliable and high-performance software for Cruise’s Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack, on future compute hardware platforms. Your designs will provide AV engineers with APIs, abstractions, and frameworks that are key to developing efficient solutions while meeting real-time performance requirements (of future compute platforms). You will also drive the roadmap of performance-driven software development products, and play key roles in the future of all our automated processes to monitor, understand, debug and solve performance critical issues.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborates closely with other System Performance Leads/Managers, and Staff and Principal engineers across Cruise to bring alignment between different AV software stakeholders and products
- Builds vision, strategy, and roadmap plans for delivering performance-critical systems and architectures, for future AV software products and hardware compute platforms
- Explores, evaluates, recommends, and acts as the technical lead in emerging technology trends and proof-of-concept efforts
- Architect software functions across multiple layers of abstraction (kernel/OS, middleware, application) for novel hardware accelerators.
- Leads the development and productionization of tools and methods for debugging and improving performance of AV software systems on future compute platforms
- Creates and implements technology standards, methodologies, processes, and guidelines
- Analyzes the AV software architecture and helps engineering teams convert performance bottlenecks into specific software optimizations
What you must have:
- Strong computer architecture and system fundamentals
- Strong background in software architecture and design patterns
- Experience developing accelerator runtimes and scheduler middleware layers (i.e OpenCL)
- Solid background in designing high-performance software for heterogeneous systems with compute accelerators (e.g. GPUs or DSPs)
- Strong communication, influence, and negotiation skills
- Exceptional leadership skills and ability to set direction and work through ambiguities
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Minimum 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Hands-on coding experience (C++ and Python)
- MS or PhD in CS, or related technical field
- Knowledge of OS/driver internals and software stacks, as well as compiler technology
- Experience with AI and ML applications and inference software stack
- Experience with real-time operating systems and software applications
- Experience with designing software applications for safety critical systems
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.