We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
About the Role
We are looking for a hardworking Senior Technical Program Manager to support the Perception team in San Francisco. Within the AI department, the Perception team works closely with the Prediction team and Robotics department to help our vehicles see and understand the surrounding world to enable safe and comfortable navigation. Our teams rely heavily on machine learning. Throughout the lifecycle of each machine learning model, skilled ML engineers design, train, and deploy models into our unique AV system to enable the AV to understand the dynamic environment around it.
As a TPM, you will be leading technical strategy and execution of key objectives, delivering initiatives in support of the research, design, development, and optimization of new combinations of ML algorithms and AV software.
If you're interested in solving some of the most exciting machine learning problems in the industry, let’s chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Drive the formulation and review of department roadmaps and objectives on a quarterly and monthly cadence
- Partner with Technical Product Managers to turn requirements into implementation roadmaps by planning timelines and identifying cross-team dependencies
- Work with Technical Leads on design decisions, and lead design reviews to ensure we continue to raise our technical standards
- Work with Engineering Managers to ensure teams take on a balanced assignment of critical initiatives and proactive engineering excellence investments, and ensure teams don't become overburdened
Execution and Delivery
- Be the point of contact for high visibility multi functional workstreams by owning communication of team, initiative, and objective statuses to all partners, including senior management and executives
- Coordinate alignment across partner teams
- Manage project risks through early identification and proactive mitigation. Shield teams from outside distraction and interference.
- Define sprint processes to maximize the team efficiency and effectiveness, ensuring the appropriate use of scrum process in JIRA
- Define and maintain a work breakdown structure and balance agile project management methodologies with overarching company program schedules
- Coordinate with product and engineering management to measure progress towards our goals to ensure schedules are met and wins are celebrated
- Serve as an embodiment of Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
- Support the growth of the team, act as a mentor, and support onboarding processes and career development
- Invest in recruiting and building the Cruise engineering brand, conduct technical interviews, and help raise our hiring bar
- Build strong cross team collaborations with the AV Robotics, Data Science, Ground Truth Engineering, Machine Learning Accelerators, and Machine Learning Platform teams.
What you must have:
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar technical field
- 6+ years of technical industry experience, including as a technical leader or manager
- Experience with popular machine learning algorithms and frameworks such as Tensorflow and PyTorch, and a demonstrated understanding of how to evaluate the performance of these models
- Experience with development of computer vision concepts (such as sensor fusion, multi-object tracking, object detection and recognition, semantic and instance segmentation, or others)
- Experience working with a variety of sensor modalities (such as lidar, camera, radar, or others)
- Experience deploying algorithms and models into real world production or safety critical environments
- Technical experience in parallel model training, active learning, TensorRT conversion, and C++ production environments, or prior contributions to computer vision or machine learning publications.
- Experience designing high-speed feedback processes for research organizations
- Experience improving and delivering reliable software through continuous integration, automated testing and code reviews
- Proficient with Agile methodologies and JIRA based program management tools and best practices
- Passionate about self-driving car technology and its impact on the world
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We’re Integrated
- We’re Funded
- We’re Independent
- We’re Vested