We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the role
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack heavily relies on machine learning techniques to perform a variety of tasks, each with different requirements of hardware/compute resources. Throughout the life-cycle of each machine learning model, skilled ML engineers (on both training and inference sides) work closely to prepare it for a robust, scalable, and compute/power efficient inferencing on a resource-constrained hardware accelerator. Such a close working relationship is key to fast and successful deployment of intelligent systems on the car.
We are looking for an experienced software architect to lead technical strategy and execution for the ML Accelerators (MLA) team, whose goal is to accelerate the deployment of the compute-intensive AV stack onto highly resource-constrained AV hardware platforms.
In this role, you will define and lead the MLA team’s strategic roadmap to accelerate our deployment velocity through automated tooling and optimizations, accelerating and stabilizing the AV stack’s real-time performance while collaborating with HW teams to define the next-generation AV compute hardware platform for improved cost, power and performance. This will require innovations in tools, automation and platform solutions that streamline the AV deployment process on to today’s and tomorrow’s AV compute (custom) hardware platforms. You will work closely with senior leadership in AI, Robotics and Hardware teams to align our goals and priorities, work with the engineering teams to research, prototype and implement new initiatives that will accelerate the company’s momentum to a full-fledged, driverless AV deployment.
If this sounds interesting to you, let's chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Define strategic vision and execution roadmap that innovates on AV deployment toolchains, performance optimization and HW/SW codesign initiatives
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define the architecture for future compute platforms and define the software transition plans to seamlessly transition and integrate the SW stack from the current compute platform to the next-generation compute platform
- Collaborate effectively with leaders across AV hardware and software orgs to drive consensus through data-driven studies and tradeoffs
- Define execution processes that strive for streamlined engineering development with robust quality and excellence
- Lead engineering teams through the SDLC lifecycle, communicate effectively with senior leadership and optimize investment with impact in mind.
- Closely follow industry and academic developments in the SOTA for ML compilation and optimization, real-time performance and ML hardware domains and adopt technology that is the best fit for Cruise’s needs.
What you must have:
- 10+ years of experience in the field of compiler design, AI deployment, ML optimization and/or system (real-time) performance analysis and optimization
- Experience in driving technical strategy and vision for engineering teams and organizations
- Led cross-functional teams (as a tech lead) across orgs through the software development lifecycle - coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration and deployment
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g., Tensorflow, etc) and software stack (e.g., TensorRT, TVM, etc)
- Experience with ML accelerators and hardware architecture, e.g., GPUs, TPUs, NNAs, MLAs
- Strong expertise in writing production quality C++ code and setting standards for code quality across engineering teams
- Experience with high-performance computing (HPC), e.g., profiling and optimizing software through parallelization techniques for complex multi-device compute nodes
- PhD in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent, in industry experience
- Experience with ASIC program and design process (from a compute software perspective)
- Experience with performance modeling, simulation and architecture design for modern ML microarchitectures.
- Experience with modern parallel programming: GPU programming (CUDA, OpenCL), SIMD (avx, neon/SVE), multi-process and multi-threaded designs.
- Familiarity with HW vendors’ deep learning stacks (e.g., cuDNN, cuBLAS, AMD MIOpen, TensorRT, OpenVino, ARM Compute Library, etc)
- Experience with model optimization techniques like pruning, quantization, NAS, etc.
- Experience with real-time scheduling frameworks
- Experience with open-source deep learning stacks (TVM, XLA, etc)
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.