We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
What you’ll be doing:
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will work directly with an array of stakeholders, including executive leadership, Autonomous Vehicle (AV) engineers, product managers, and operations teams. You are responsible for extracting high-impact insights from our massive collection of on-road and simulation data by:
- Creating novel features and models and analyzing their performance;
- Deploying production systems that deliver continuous insights;
- Quantifying the impact of AV changes using statistical methods, data mining, and experimental design principles; and
- Reporting and communicating your results to partners through presentations and dashboards.
The ideal candidate for this role is passionate about the AV Industry, has a track record of discovering insights from massive data, and works to discover and address customer needs through their output.
- Train and deploy models that provide meaningful insights into AV performance, both on-road and in simulation.
- Develop statistical error bounds for safety-critical models, and perform power analyses for predictive experiments.
- Analyze the results of driving and simulation to uncover performance changes, and the source of those changes.
- Create tools and reports that explain model predictions to partners using Jupyter notebooks and dashboarding tools such as Looker or Plotly Dash.
- Design, validate, and deploy new features from multiple data sources using Python and distributed compute tools.
- Test, debug, and document your code. Our models and feature-extractors run in a real-time environment, and our data is big enough to hit almost every corner case.
- Collaborate with team members to build shareable tools, methods, and dashboards.
- Convert insights into concrete, meaningful recommendations for business or product improvement, and succinctly communicate these findings to various partners and leadership.
What you must have:
- A Masters or PhD degree or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years post-academic experience in data science, machine learning, or a closely-related field.
- Significant statistical experience in data-intensive on-line systems. Examples include real-time metrics tracking systems and A/B testing methodologies.
- Experience deploying feature and model pipelines at scale, and monitoring model performance.
- Experience designing, training, and critically analyzing ML models for big data.
- Experience developing and maintaining automated reporting tools for management and other stakeholders.
- Productive in both SQL and Python.
- Creative, resourceful, and enthusiastic about seeking new solutions to problems and opportunities
- A track record of leading cross-functional initiatives
- Experience with MapReduce frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, BigQuery) and/or Apache Beam/Google Dataflow
- Experience with DAG orchestrators (eg. Airflow/Kubeflow-Pipelines/Luigi)
- Experience with analyzing time series data
- Consumer-facing product experience
- Experience in AV or Automotive industry
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.